New GPU for Darktable/ video encoding

It’s like when I started with 3d studio 4 “some years ago” in my 486SX (SX = no i487 math coprocessor). Years later I had a pentium with coprocessor, what a difference!

I know the difference between OpenGL and OpenCL. Also most of the time I find users complaining about older generation cards like RX 580, and that people got frustrated here is conprehensible.

But what about the new generations, RX 5700 and especially RX 6800 series? Here the benchmarks indicate that the OpenCL performance of these AMD cards is at the same level or higher than actual cards by NVidia: Radeon RX 6800 Series Has Excellent ROCm-Based OpenCL Performance On Linux - Phoronix

Due to the shortages of GPUs, you’d probably be able to sell your AMD Gpu for a profit, to gamers!

1 Like

You know what, I may try that!

1 Like

Probably best to buy a new GPU first though, as there doesn’t seem to be much available at the moment. There are a few “pictures” of high end GPUs for sale on Ebay though! I wonder if anyone will be silly enough to bid on them? :rofl:

1 Like

A spot of googling this evening, and I found a retailer which had an MSI GTX 1660 VENTUS XS 6G OC 6GB Graphics Card in stock. So all being well, it should be with me in a few days. A tad more expensive than the RX580, but should be a better card for my uses!

1 Like