New interface in darktable 2.7 (dev)

@anon41087856 having used Blender, it uses ctrl -scroll for value adjustment, while scroll by itself moves modules (panel) up / down.

It would be good to simply scroll up / down anywhere inside the modules, as depending on what a user is doing they can get big.

2 Likes

Fantastic work … thank you all. :clap: :bouquet: :trumpet:
@anon41087856, I particularly like how the “little things” that I have wished for without articulating those wishes have happened. They may not have been little to code robustly, however.

The “dot” mnemoic for the neutral position for example. (Although some of the dots are not correctly placed … unless there is intentionally a distinction between the reset-by-double-click position and “neutral” position).

Again, the compress history button for lightroom - I knew I wanted this functionality once I had edited a whole bunch of pics, but thought it a cosmetic nicety only. Fantastic to have it!!!

Once again, many thanks to all. This software is AWESOME!

1 Like

I kind of like that the regular scroll sets the sliders. Think of those who edit on a touch screen, that would make the sliders impossible to use.

The dot goes on the zero, not on the neutral position. If the neutral position is not zero… well the parameter is poorly designed.

One other change (is it only new in the most recent update?) - the “display second darkroom image window” feature now allows for image on one monitor and controls on another, for those of us with multi-head setups. That is frigging awesome!

1 Like

I understand the touch screen arguement. Could it not be a preference? Enable the current behaviour by default, (for touchscreen users, and users that prefer scroll value change), yet allow users more used to Blender, and other apps to ctrl-scroll values?

1 Like

@anon41087856
thanks a lot for that comprehensive overview. I am so amazed these days about opensource, yet again… :blush: especially one of my dreams (darktable on two monitors) somehow come true here gitHub-dt-PR #2365 :slight_smile:

Anyhow, we have a little flaw… for me the groups in darkroom disappeared as I discribed also here gitHub-dt-Issue #2400

2 Likes

On the one hand I miss not having my presets in each darkroom module. On the other, accessing them from the quick-access button means not having to even find the module!!!

please fill independant bugs report on Github so we can keep track of them. I’m well aware that I may have broken things, but they should hopefully be easier to maintain long-term.

2 Likes

OK; I discovered, however, that the presets are still available, but that setting the sidebars to ridiculously wide obscures them.

@anon41087856 Awesome. With a few more touches, it will be even better. Although I don’t use dt, it is great to see the surge of visible development and devs like you sharing what is going on for people to be excited about. :smile:

Standing ovation! Looking forward to being able to get my hands on this.

Beautiful!!

Can’t wait to see this in the official build so I can use it :smile:

@anon41087856

Excellent :+1:

Many many thanks.

I like this but see no manner to “hide the outer arrows”. Is this possible yet?

GENERAL NOTICE : you need to install all the Roboto font packages available in your package manager to get the most of the new UI.

1 Like

Roboto has improved over the years in response to criticism. It is okay now but still a little awkward. :face_with_monocle: Curious what it replaced in dt. If I had to choose a Roboto, I would go with Roboto Slab. :wink:

It’s gorgeous, please embed a music player and that’s all I need in this life, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@mosaster Where the UI bumps to the beats and changes colours to the tones. :joy: A nightmare for UX and colour management killjoys no doubt.

2 Likes

I did not order a surrealistic trip, sorry :crazy_face:, rather for a good time with tea, music and photo processing on a rainy day. :wink: Also, DT delivers visual satisfaction to its adepts, next thing it is missing - an element of audio, to become a pure creative art-gasm :grin:

darktable used whatever default GTK font, usually Cantarell. Another Opensource failure.