New interface in darktable 2.7 (dev)

Emoji are part of fonts now, so you could use emoji in your module name :yum:

That’s certainly food for thought…

Looks fantastic…really like the interface changes
Thanks

No way around that, there is always people who don’t like changes whatever it is. And we can’t please anyone for sure. Maybe with some alternative theming it will get more widely accepted.

The point to keep in mind here, it is not that it is only a nice new interface but that it is an interface that can be 100% themed using only CSS without requiring using C. So let’s see what the CSS designer can do with that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly what I wrote without looking at your comment :slight_smile:

When would be a good time to start hacking at that CSS? Is it expected to change much?

Now! Go…

First of all, thank you @anon41087856 and the rest of the team for the effort you took on redesign and reimplemnt UI! Frankly speaking what surprised me the most and what I wanted badly is shortcuts for hiding top/right/bottom/left panel! That is useful! No to mention all the rest of course :slight_smile: Usability is important!

I’m curious what will look the ‘grey theme’. My proposition from some old post is not nice at all but it does it job for me. I image that it will be hard to get nice, readable, grey theme.

Looking forward to getting this in a stable release (2.8?). Can I ask if it will be possible to have the left and right panels be different widths (or even resizable with a mouse drag)? I like a nice wide right panel but mostly just use the history stack in the left so it’s taking up valuable screen real-estate as currently can only set a single pixel width that impacts both.

Well … one could have copied all old settings from C to a CSS file as a first step and then just added your new theme as a 2nd option.

One thing you mind want to consider for your work: The project is developed in a team. I am not sure but was this rather big change discussed in the team before you committed it? was there an agreement about what you wanted to do or did you just do it? Pushing in such big changes without a consent is a pretty good way to piss off people.

No, it was not discussed.

That doesn’t seem completely fair since this PR was in the making for months, plenty of time to voice your concerns.

3 Likes

Not possible because again… the styling has been removed from the C code and put in the CSS stylesheet to separate content and form. Old CSS are not compatible with the new way.

The PR has been opened on the 23th of January, advertised on the dev mailing list several times, and generated more than 88 comments from devs and power users on Github. If this is not a discussion, I’m not sure what it is.

4 Likes

That’s not possible. In C there was different settings on different widgets. In CSS we try to target widget class and sometime a widget name (#something).

I agree it was discussed quite a lot and I had reviewed and tested all this since months.

1 Like

sorry, 151 comments.

I finally managed to build Darkatable for Windows to test the new GUI.
For the moment I get some segfault with error message

(darktable.exe:9084): Pango-WARNING **: 21:00:41.069: couldn't load font "sans-serif Condensed Not-Rotated 9.71875", falling back to "Sans Condensed Not-Rotated 9.71875", expect ugly output.

Any clue ?

Hi @MarcoNex,

This is a long shot: did you notice that you would need the Roboto font family installed?
Either that is missing or something went wrong with the file transfer…

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Mmmmhhh, I have no clue how to install Roboto, I can’t find it in MSYS2.
I installed the Roboto family from Google in Windows, but nothing has changed.
Anyway, removing the darkatable dir in APPDATA and restaring darkable clean, I don’t have segfaults anymore.
However I still get the warnings:

(darktable.exe:4816): Pango-WARNING **: 22:20:02.988: couldn't load font "sans-serif Condensed Not-Rotated 9.71875", falling back to "Sans Condensed Not-Rotated 9.71875", expect ugly output.

(darktable.exe:4816): Pango-WARNING **: 22:20:02.988: couldn't load font "Sans Condensed Not-Rotated 9.71875", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 9.71875", expect ugly output.

Also, how do I check if I have the correct GTK version ?

But not all. And not everyone followed this changes too.
Most of the changes can be reverted by custom CSS if one wants to, but unfortunately not this one. It is a lot less productive for me without icons. Also, not all of us use 15" screens for photo editing, so get rid of ~16px icon won’t improve anything.

Again, I’m fan of moving style config to CSS although I’ve found a few decisions at least irritating.