New interface in darktable 2.7 (dev)

Since it seems people here is already using it, I have to ask :slight_smile:
Any windows build available yet?

will we get those little icons on the module descriptor somehow back?Screenshot_20190409_221000_icons

they are still in the “more modules” list but not in the activated modules, which are listet in the groups…

you can build it yourself, the instructions in https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/blob/master/packaging/windows/BUILD.txt are up to date.
But maybe you need the lensfun downgrade described in What do I need and how complicated is to build DT? - #11 by gaaned92

Just curious … will you provide a theme to allow people to have a DT 2.6 look (if they wish to)?

What exactly are you calling a failure here: Cantarell, or using the default GTK font? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cantarell.

It’s not on my todo list to be honest (I don’t see the point).

The modules headers were too crowded since the instance renaming option appeared, so the icons have been sacrificed to free more room. Besides, not all modules had them and they are not always meaningful.

mono fonts are for console/terminal fonts.

The background is what research says it should be : between 50 and 75 % grey. There is no aesthetics involved here, it’s intended to offer optimal conditions for visual assessment. If you really want to change it, you can fiddle in the CSS.

See what shortcut you have defined in the prefs → shortcuts → global → toggle panels collapsing controls.

Incoming, as well as the GTK version bump in Cmake.

1 Like

mono fonts can also be useful in other programs than terminals.

the GTK bump should be a team decision on which distros are target for 2.8. normally the GTK versions are limited by that.

Unfortunately, GTK 3.18 and prior don’t accept CSS-defined margins and hardcoded margins are a nightmare.

Basically, having half the styling in C code, and the rest in CSS was like the worst decision ever. It took me a month to track which rule applied where. The official CSS stylesheet even had rules that were overwritten in C. So… Bump to GTK 3.22 or undo my commits…

Yes, I tried a while back and I got stuck :confused:
I wanted to ask help but eventually I ended up being busy with my work and I couldn’t find time for it.
Wish I had, I guess once that part is figured out I would be good to build any upcoming release.

that means for …

• ubuntu at least 18.04
  • opensuse at least 15.0
  • Fedora at least 28
  • debian at least stretch (which is 8 iirc, but 8 is disabled for other reasons for master builds already)

I already saw some people saying the preferred the old style. and it would lower the resistance to all the changes.

1 Like

So use shorter names. I find these icons useful for quickly finding the module I’m looking for.

I appreciate the work you’ve put into this. Having everything in the css will be handy.

1 Like

I think the point is that users can now name the modules. So the dev can’t really control what they’re called anymore.

They were nice for a few modules, but many were not different enough from each other.

The comment was for anyone renaming the modules not just dev’s.

1 Like

Everyone with a webdesign background can do it, it’s just CSS. I have more important things to do right now (filmic v3, ACES P0 colorspace, tone equalizer module, perf optimizations, etc.).

Also, some people will always prefer the old … (name it) even if it is crooked and unefficient. That’s how people are.

That means at least GTK 3.22, released in september 2016, 2.5 years ago. Flatpak packages can overcome the lib compatibility issues, but at some point we have to keep moving on… GTK 4.0 should be released anytime soon, carrying GTK 3.18 compatibility is not a burden suited for a team of 13 part-time devs where almost nobody cares about graphic design and productivity.

Design involves trade-offs. The trade-off we have choosen was to retain the text because it holds more meaning in a less ambigious way than icons. Also, now, darkroom’s modules look more like the lighttable’s ones. A lot of dt’s design was copied on Lightroom 2010, a lot of Lightroom has changed since then, what I gather from that is too much energy was lost mimicking something that was eventually dropped because of its flaws. So, let’s try to see how we can make it more productive, not how we can make it look like the proprietary softwares people are used to. Focus on the feature, not on the tool.

10 Likes

It’s more productive for me with the icons. And I’ve never used lightroom.

1 Like

then I’m sorry, but most people who have followed this work were ok with dropping the icons, and after some getting use to, most people get along nicely with it. Anyway, a lot of modules never got their specific icons.

2 Likes

Could they at least be themed?

no, that part is plain C with Cairo and SVG libs.

And it couldn’t just look for external icon files?