New to raw - hate my results so far

My interpretation, with ARTP1120111-art.jpg.out.arp (11.2 KB)

My attempt on darktable dev 3.1 (so xmp may not work for everyone)

P1120111.ORF.xmp (15.9 KB)

P1120111.ORF.pp3 (12.3 KB)

P1120111.ORF.mixer.pp3 (12.3 KB)

1 Like

P1120111.ORF.xmp (10.4 KB) P1120111_01.ORF.xmp (10.9 KB)

1 Like

lake.hate.results.orf.xmp (7.5 KB) darktable 3.0.1

Wonderful scene!

Edited in darktable. Started with preset from Basic semi-automated style for darktable 3.0/filmic. Added a second instance of color balance with a parametric mask on the greens. I wanted the greens a little warmer and push the contrasts. Hope it is not overcooked :wink:

2 Likes

@BarneyMaroon
Your pp3 with two modifications:

• use of Adobe standard DCP instead of the bundled one as I find it saturates colors too much for my taste
  • use of tone curve/perceptual; I use film-like if I want to boost colors.
  • a little vibrance

P1120111-2.jpg.out.pp3 (12.7 KB)

note : for the photo I process in raw, I don’t try first to reproduce the jpeg as I made above. It seems to me that it is limiting the possibilities. If it was one of my images, perhaps I would keep the OOC jpeg with possibly some small tweak.

1 Like

Loooooook at that distortion… clearly architecture is not the strength of this lens :wink:

P1120111.ORF.xmp (32.7 KB)

Most of my work is the crop. Nothing special in the processing… I failed to neutralize the yellow in this shot that I didn’t much care for.

2 Likes

Tried to do something between what I would normally try and do and the JPEG you posted (in darktable). Probably went a little bit too far on the local contrast and contrast equalizer, but this look was easily achieved with the exposure, tone curve, color zones and lut3D modules.

I always try to experiment with it first, but I’ve had difficulty getting the results I want from the filmic rgb module. I find that the lut3D module in combination with the RawTherapee haldclut files is an extremely easy (although perhaps more destructive?) way to get that filmic roll-off in my images.

Thanks for sharing. dt 3.0.1

P1120111.ORF.xmp (13.4 KB)

I’m not on a computer sufficient to test it, but the yellowish green and the violet sky may both be mitigate-able by dialing down the red multiplier in the white balance.

Edit: I downloaded your jpeg, inspected the histogram, and decided increasing the WB blue muiltiplier would be a better “one-stop-shopping” correction. So with an additional .3 of blue and a slight s-curve to increase contrast, here’s what I got (so, would this be a “PlayJPEG”? :smiley:)

2 Likes

Yeah that’s better!

Really a great scenery!
I tried once with a Fuji Astia film simulation, the second one without much change in colour.

P1120111_RT-0.jpg.out.pp3 (12.9 KB)

P1120111_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.8 KB)

Quite difficult. The camera is doing some magic to the JPG. Sharpness and the red tones were not easy to achieve.

P1120111.ORF.xmp (13.6 KB)

Edit: this is ugly, a less saturated and oversharpened version done with my calibrated monitor.

P1120111.ORF.xmp (15.1 KB)

Hi,
since you like the camera jpg (and I agree, the colours are nice), I tried to match that in terms of tonalities. I did it by using an appropriate input profile (I used a dual-illuminant DCP profile made with dcamprof) and slightly tweaking the colours with a channel mixer, mostly to make the greens redder.
Here’s what I got (still not identical, but in the ballpark I think):

Regarding the handling of details, I find the camera jpeg way oversharpened, and frankly pretty bad at 1:1 view. However, the amount of sharpening depends a lot on the output medium, viewing distance, and so on, so maybe the camera is just optimized for different viewing conditions…

1 Like

I took a whack at it with Filmulator. I found Filmulator’s colors to be perfectly fine by default… but it does tend to differ there from the more typical raw editors.

Here’s what I did:

• enabled CA correction
  • raised exposure comp 1/3 stop
  • raised shadow rolloff to 0.00174
  • raised drama to 37
  • lowered White Clipping Point to 0.547.

3 Likes

Although my first entry here was a more saturated version, including the yellow, I do agree that the yellow has too much of a presence.

Tried a darktable/gimp combo to get to a more neutral (natural?) looking endresult. This is what I came up with:

Interesting scrolling through the 27 posted images and wondering just how they appeared to each of you on your systems, with your eyes. I see ones I like, ones I don’t, ones I think look natural, etc… Vive la difference! At the risk of being accused of offering nothing of my own… here’s a quick DT 3.0.0 take.

My quick one with RawTherapee.

P1120111_billznn.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)
Licensed CC-BY-SA Creative Commons License.

I’m quite new to RawTherapee as well, but I come from years of forgetting a camera can even make jpegs.
Well, my little bit of advice, coming from what I could unexpectedly but gladly rediscover with the last camera I recently got (X100V): it’s OK to be OK with the OOC JPEG :smiley:
The raw development should be, I think, mostly to get out of the camera something that the camera development is not giving you already, but that you alone can get.

2 Likes