New tool "Capture Sharpening"

I need clear steps to reproduce, not guesses.

I have 2 versions of RT installed:

• RT 5.7 → RawTherapee_5.7_WinVista_64.exe
  • RT 5.7-Dev → RawTherapee_dev-win64-5.7-111-g851a12e16_WinVista_64.exe

I edit a photo with RT 5.7 and generate a pp3.
RT 5.7 closure.

I open the previous photo with RT 5.7-Dev and see what has been edited in RT 5.7 + ‘Capture Sharpening’ ON

So, if a photo already exists, pp3 should open ‘Capture Sharpening’ OFF with RT 5.7-Dev

Edit: Ugh, I think it’s difficult: RT5.7-Dev would have to detect that pp3 comes from another program …

I just tried your steps:

1. opened and edited a photo with RT 5.7
  2. closed RT 5.7 and started RT 5.7 dev 117
  3. opened the image in RT 5.7 dev 117, capture sharpening is set to OFF

Ok, got it. I used dynamic profiles where all works fine.
Setting the default profile to Automatched ISO low I can reproduce the bug.
Though it’s not a bug of capture sharpening. The same would happen with every tool we add to a profile which is used as a default profile.

Looking how to fix that…

Edit: As a workaround until the bug is fixed, just set the default profile to dynamic and add a dynamic profile which uses auto matched...

1 Like

Anyway, for me it is not a bug. On second thought, I, as a programmer, would not do anything, because 2 or more programs should not be used at the same time for the same photo.

What should be done who wants to move from one program to another and has many photos already processed, is to use profiles that deactivate sharpening of the old program and another profile that activates the Capture Sharpening of the new program with the values ​​that interest.

And from there that only RT5.7-Dev is used

1 Like

Settings of the default profile should never be applied to an image which already has a pp3 file.
To me, that’s clearly a bug.

1 Like

I meant a partial profile

It happens already when clicking the thumb of an image which has a profile (for example from 5.7, which is perfectly fine) which does not have capture sharpening…

Processing profile fill mode: Button released.

SharpeningOFF.pp3:

[Sharpening]
Enabled=false

This profile, with the released button, only sets sharpening OFF and does not modify the rest.

(I think I’m complicating it… but it’s an idea/solution)

Edit: I leave. There is that.

@heckflosse great you could reproduce.

As a note: I already had issues when the auto matched curve was introduced (replaced the auto levels AFAIR): reopening an image activated auto matched curve on top of the levels which resulted in brightness/contrast being completely off. AFAIR (it has been quite a while ago) it was mentioned by someone but nobody could (knew how to?) reproduce. Probably it comes from the same problem/bug?

Forgive me if I have missed it somewhere, but is there an explanation of why ‘capture sharpening’ is an improvement over RT standard sharpening (USM / RL). Thanks…

See this long thread

3 Likes

Thanks plenty to read here!

Yes, and it it is well above my understanding. That’s why I linked rather than trying to summarize.

1 Like

If you have any questions, just post there and someone will definitely be able to entertain them. :wink: Also, “quick question”. :rofl:

1 Like

Had a brief look at the post. If I understand correctly, at a very basic level, it entails applying the sharpening early in the pipeline, before any tone curves, which results in fewer halo artefacts. Is this correct?

@spidermonkey I think beside that, another important thing was that capture sharpening is applied in a different color space than the RL deconvolution.

2 Likes

This is an AWESOME tool and I am very very much looking forward to the next stable version of RT. Speaking of which? Do we know when it comes out?

1 Like

No, but v5.8 Milestone · GitHub

1 Like

Could it be possible to have more than 50% increase on the borders?

Some lens have much more than 50% more blur radius at borders compared to center. And maybe… also a bigger max radius? (or a similar corner boost feature also in unsharp mask)

Thank you.