New Windows builds

Thanks @sguyader :+1:
Runs fine on Win 10 x64

1 Like

@sguyader,

Thanks for RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.730.zip and RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Master_Release_4.2.664.zip.
I have tried them both and they seem faster, but unfortunately they both crash sometimes on me when saving to a TIF file.

Due to my limited time, I havenā€™t had time to create a proper bug report nor open an account to upload files and so onā€¦ I think a lot of Windows 64-bit users donā€™t report bugs due to the same reasons, avoid the process, or they just donā€™t know how to do it. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I get the impression that developers donā€™t test/develop on Windows 64-bit, which probably makes it even worse to find bugs.

Iā€™m back using RawTherapee_WinVista_64_4.2-372-g6d9bf85_Local_Lab.zip, an old version, which I find more stable and it doesnā€™t crash on me. It also has some tools which I like.

Thanks again and I hope to be able to report bugs in the future.

@dngimage, you should be aware that developers, and us packagers, also have limited time. We all do this on our free time, and the development builds youā€™ve tried are just thatā€¦ development builds. We have recently started to package a debugger (gdb.exe) within the Debug builds, so that producing useful bug reports isnā€™t as difficult as before. Itā€™s not that complicated, if you really want to help the community just spend 5 minutes reading the following, and 10 minutes doing this:

• download and install the Debug build corresponding to the version which crashes
  • run cmd
  • change directory (cd) to the RT install folder
  • type gdb rawtherapee.exe
  • at the (gdb) prompt type run
  • do whatever can cause a crash on RT
  • upon crash, alt+tab to the comand prompt and type bt full
  • copy the message related to error encountered by RT
  • open a new issue on github, and paste the error message from GDB there

All of these stps are detailed in the online documentation.

Windows builds get tested by some of the developers, but they legitimately focus on working on already known/reported bugs, new features, code cleanup, etcā€¦ and they canā€™t test every other aspect of the software. In my opinion, developers should concentrate on developing the software and not testing, while testing should be done by volunteering testers, who are asked to provide useful bug reports to improve the stability of the program.

1 Like

What is the difference between these builds and the ones on rawtherapee.com? I assume these arenā€™t the Local Lab patch versions as they arenā€™t marked as such. Also, what is the difference between Gtk3 and master release? Which should I use if Iā€™m familiar with RawTherapee (been using it for more than a year) but am still a basic user?

@Raja, in general the builds on rawtherapee.com are picked from one of our builds. The Local Lab is much behind the current code, and it is now to much work to update it, so it will probably stay like that for an indefinite amount of time, non new Local Lab build will be made.
The Gtk3 branch was made to port the code to newer Gtk (3) version (the graphical frontend), and now that it is mostly done, the master branch (where most of the new features and bug fixes are commited) is frequently merged into the Gtk3 branch, so both branches have about the same tools.
I would say that If you really want to be sure to have the latest developments, take a Master release for now.

Thanks. Iā€™ll take the Master release.

@sguyader,
I am aware, and understand all of that. Your work is appreciated.
By the way, deleting the cache and re-installing improved things a little, even though it was a little painful to loose that information. I will keep testing when time allows. For now I will keep using RawTherapee_WinVista_64_4.2-372-g6d9bf85_Local_Lab.zip version which as I said works very well for me. Thanks again.

1 Like

I was just going to write a blog post pointing people to this advice (in particular windows users), but I canā€™t seem to find a debug build listed on http://rawtherapee.com that includes GDB.exe.

Is there any chance you can start adding them on the website downloads or should I just point folks to this thread?

[edit]: Iā€™m an idiot. Ignore me.

[quote=ā€œdngimage, post:83, topic:615ā€]
I havenā€™t had time to create a proper bug report nor open an account to upload files and so onā€¦ I think a lot of Windows 64-bit users donā€™t report bugs due to the same reasons
[/quote]I donā€™t buy that excuse :wink: If someone has time to test development versions then they have the 1-3 minutes to write a bug report. I think itā€™s more to do with Windows user mentality. Windows software is generally catastrophic at giving users useful feedback when something goes wrong, so you grow into the mentality that error messages contain no useful information and reporting bugs in the right place is impossible (I was actually shocked last week to find an Adobe link for submitting bug reports). RawTherapee makes reporting bugs easy for users of any platform - How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but I get the impression that developers donā€™t test/develop on Windows 64-bit
[/quote]Thatā€™s not correct. Currently there are more Windows-using developers than otherwise.

Iā€™m back using RawTherapee_WinVista_64_4.2-372-g6d9bf85_Local_Lab.zip, an old version, which I find more stable and it doesnā€™t crash on me.[/quote]Thatā€™s unfortunate, as doing so gets neither of us closer to finding and fixing the cause of the crash.

[quote=ā€œRaja, post:85, topic:615ā€]
What is the difference between these builds and the ones on rawtherapee.com?
[/quote]No difference other than being newer. I update the Windows builds on rawtherapee.com about once every two weeks or so, I get them from @sguyader and from @gaaned92.

@patdavid bundling gdb.exe is now the standard recommended procedure for people making Windows builds, and so as of recently all Windows debug builds, whether here or on rawtherapee.com, should include it.

Remember, dear reader, that ā€œdebugā€ builds are much slower than ā€œreleaseā€ builds. Use the latter for day-to-day work, and if you encounter a reproducible crash, then use the former to get the meaningful info we need - the documentation I linked to above and countless times elsewhere explains how.

@sguyader,
Using RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.730.
Solved the problem by not using the cache. :smiley:
I just save the processing profile next to the raw file.
The problem could be, or is, a cache conflict with the two different version that I use. I wish each version could have its own cache folder.
Any how, I can work with both versions now, perhaps it is better this way.
Thanks for RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.730 build!

They can:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/File_Paths

1 Like

@patdavid,
Thanks so much! I will play around with that when I get some time. Good to know! :slightly_smiling:

An even better way of getting a backtrace in gdb is this:

set pagination off
set logging file gdb.txt
set logging on
thread apply all bt full

It will put all output into gdb.txt in the current directory.

@houz thanks for the tip.
@Morgan_Hardwood, should we add this to Rawpedia?

Already done:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports

1 Like

Todays Windows 64 bits builds have just been uploaded here.
Enjoy!

1 Like

Runs fine on Win 10 x64, Thanks :clap:

Thank @TooWaBoo, if you have Gimp installed, can you please try the ā€œSend to editorā€ button to send an image to Gimp, and see if it works?

Iā€™m sorry, I donā€™t use Gimp, but I can tell you, that the command line to launch an external program within RT works fine.

@sguyader,

I replied about it here:

It works fine on mine.

But it would be nice if TooWaBoo can confirm this.