Newbie having problems with highlights

The image looks weird, as if it were a composite. Zooming in on the top-right corner:

have you tried the setting reconstruct LCh in the highlights reconstruction module and the reconstruct settings in filmic?

Here is my attempt:

Important steps are:

Highlight reconstruction:

HR

Custom white balance in color calibration module:

WB

and highlight reconstruction in filmic module:

FHR

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (11,5 KB) (darktable developer ver. 3.5.0~git654.616308c7b-1)

2 Likes

imo you get hefty purple fringing with c1

1 Like

ART
exposure compensation, HLrecovery, tone curve, tone equalize, WB, local contrast, some local color correction

You’re right. I didn’t take that into account. Here is without:

5 Likes

My attempt in darktable 3.4.

2020-12-19-X-T3-DSCF3006.RAF.xmp (14.1 KB)

1 Like

@pdvpjepj: In case you’re not aware, you can load development settings not only from XMPs, but also JPG output (so you can download @s7habo’s last image, and in darktable use the load sidecar file button:
Then switch the file selector to show all files and pick the downloaded JPG:

And the lighttable is updated (you can make a duplicate of the image before you do this, and load the history stack into that copy):

2 Likes

I don’t understand this: are the settings embedded into the jpg? Or does dt do something similar to the auto-matched curve in RT?

You can only do this if the JPG was exported using darktable, AND darktable embedded the processing settings. WIth 3.4, there is a ‘cogwheel’ icon next to ‘export’ button:

See “Export selected” in the darktable usermanual under the ‘metadata’ heading.
On the master branch, you have a preferences item in the ‘hamburger menu’ of the module.

2 Likes

Double filmic, wow! :slight_smile:

Yes. I always test new combinations :wink: :upside_down_face:

It looks like the last image was a screen dump not an uploaded jpg so not sure this would still work I haven’t had a chance to try…if so @s7habo what tweak did you add to the updated image…

I masked fringe and corrected colors with color balance module .

Thanks…so likely just a parametric mask and then a color tweak??.I sometimes use the autodesaturate picker in CZ module and select on something like that then bump the mixer around if needed…that can work pretty well too I have found

It’s a real darktable export; it is the file I used in the screenshots above.

Would you care to explain the thought process behind the steps? E.g. how did it occur to you to use two filmic instances; and how did you figure out what highlight restoration settings to use with filmic?

Looks really good. Much better than c1. Looking at the C1 and some DT examples I thought just crop that top part. But your image really makes the sky look like not being heavily blown.

2 Likes

I am not at my PC to check but I have used an instance where I shift the latitude all the way up and then saturate it…it adds nice color to the highlights. I see also a massive negative threshold so that must act to boost the effect that Boris applied…I notice he also moved the slider away from color and towards gray…lots of small things to try

This was simply an experiment. I’m just curious which modules are good for increasing contrast with blend mode multiply or multiply reverse. I tried several before and it was filmic’s turn. That is all. Now I know about the strengths and weaknesses of different modules and when to use which one. :wink:

Do not expect anything particularly intelligent. :joy: I read popup info and just moved sliders until it worked. If that didn’t work, I would have selected sky, taken colorize module and recolored sky. It didn’t have any details that needed to be reconstructed anyway.