Ojigi Japanese temple

Hello !

I am a beginner in photography and with darktable and I have a little difficulty to make something I like with this photo.

I’m interested to see how you manage the photo.

P1010139.RW2 (18.9 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike

8 Likes

@pixmyo, welcome here. Thank you for your first Play Raw. I don’t want to edit your first image like a headless chicken, without a proper licence. Could you please pay attention to the following post:

;
Done @iarga , I won’t miss it anymore :slight_smile:

3 Likes

P1010139.RW2.xmp (18,7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for this nice play. Sorry, no Darktable, here my version with RT:

P1010139.RW2.jpg.out.pp3 (14,3 KB)

2 Likes

Sorry @pixmyo! I didn’t see that the thread was about DT. I should have read your post more carefully.

P1010139.RW2.xmp (26.3 KB)

3 Likes

Hello,
I like the night ambiance and the different light sources in this picture. I tried to accentuate this atmosphere by increasing the contrast and saturation.
Darktable 4.1

P1010139.RW2.xmp (17.4 KB)
Greetings from Brussels
Christian

But what happened to the head of the person in the foreground?

6 Likes

bending down towards the temple…

3 Likes

P1010139.jpg.out.pp3 (13.7 KB)

Thanks for the play
Opened in RT and finished in gimp.
Thanks too to Marter I took a second look and can just see the back of his head :slight_smile:

1 Like

My version…

P1010139_02.RW2.xmp (15.2 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the play,

Edit with GIMP and G’MIC:

1 Like

Not Darktable but GIMP. A little perspective adjustment and cropped. A colour boost using Colours/Components. Local adjustments to brightness and contrast. Enlarged the man in the foreground to give him more significance.

Darktable 4.2.1 P1010139.RW2.xmp (17.8 KB)

EDIT: I tried to emphasize the Red Green Blue co-presence. I discarded the top of the photo because it hadn’t a part in what I wanted to tell.
The burnt overexposed lights weren’t recoverable in any way, so I went the opposite way emphasizing them with a bloom effect that made them actors in the scene.
I kept the overall tone dark, at the risk of loosing the man without a head, and I recovered his visibility lightening the background behind him (with a parametric mask).

I cropped the image in such a way to:

• have the three primary colors well represented
  • have the man without a head in the bottom left third of the photo
  • maintain the blueish zebra crossroad in the bottom (because it adds to the surrealist scene)

I didn’t bother with noise too much because it adds a filmic look, I just removed chroma noise.

1 Like

My fun in GIMP

RawTherapee 5.9 dev + PR#6641 / Border: ImageMagick

1 Like