Old camera model

Around USD 155 :open_mouth:

EDIT: Used: around USD 105

EDIT2:

Probably. Plus, there is the customs. If it falls under their radar, the tax will double the price, if not more. Please, let me know when you come to Rio :stuck_out_tongue:

Having said that, and still asserting that the D600 is the best full frame on the market considering price/performance ratio, I am selling mine to get a D810 second hand.

The reason is simply that Iā€™m considering this DSLR as likely the last one Iā€™ll ever have; the camera that Iā€™m more likely to pick it up when I go for a walk or a ride etc is the considerably smaller/lighter Fuji with a 35mm or 18mm lens. But I want to still have a DSLR for the pure pleasure of having the highest quality; or next time I go to Svalbard (I went there last September and it was tragic for my Fuji; had to swap batteries like crazy, they lasted about ten minutes or so).

So I want to have the latest & greatest iteration of the Nikon pro-level full frame cameras ā€“ without obviously spending the crazy amount of money for the new D850(*). So if anybody living in Europe wants my D600 with ~48k shutter actuations and with shutter mechanism replaced under warrany Iā€™m giving it away for six hundred euros.

(*) D4 and D5 are on a different league.

Youā€™re right, and I didnā€™t take attention to that.

I made the following test: put a 18% greycard on the floor, near a well lit glass wall (sunny day outside, but no direct sunlight into the scene), set up the dial to ā€œPā€, checked that the camera was accepting speed/aperture settings and shoot 0, +1/3, +2/3, +1 EV exposures.

In Darktable, the histogram for each raw are:

0EV:

+1/3 EV

+2/3 EV

+1 EV

It seems thereā€™s a light metering issue with the camera, isnā€™t it?

To tease apart your assertion, what specific thing about these histograms say that to you? Right now, all I see is some clump of image data, moving as I would expect for EV compensationā€¦

Post the raw, thatā€™ll helpā€¦

I expected to see the histogram spike in the middle when there was no exposure compensation, since Iā€™m aiming a 18% grey subject.

Here they go:

0EV
IMG_4236.CR2 (10.4 MB)

+1/3 EV
IMG_4237.CR2 (10.4 MB)

+2/3 EV
IMG_4238.CR2 (10.4 MB)

+1 EV
IMG_4239.CR2 (10.5 MB)

Out grocery shopping with wife, will look when we get homeā€¦

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

Hi again!

Which metering mode do you use:
evaluative, center-weighted, partial, spot?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I used evaluative for the grey card shots.

EDIT: Changed to spot and took a grey card shot again and the histogram is a bit more underexposed:

Iā€™m sorry about this, but the previous histogram images are considering a base curve applied to the image.

Turning it off, the 0 EV histogram is like this:

and the +1 EV

Could you redo your raw files with spot metering (and the typical grey card shot considerations)?

Also, +2/3 EV and +1 EV have both ā€œ1/15ā€ marked on the histogramā€¦ EXIF error?

Would the 0 EV be enough?
_MG_4250.CR2 (10.4 MB)

What would they be?

Donā€™t have a clue. On Digikam it shows the same way.

Isnā€™t this ETTR?

@gadolf, the camera metering works under the assumption that illumination of pixels in a typical normal photograph averages out to middle grey.
Therefore, if you take a photo of a grey card with camera suggested exposure, its histogram will be bunched in the middle. So your cameraā€™s metering is working as expected.
If you take a photo of a white card, the output should be a grey card and the histogram will be the same!

1 Like

ā€¦ but it doesnā€™t, right?
Take a look at the last histogram I showed (with base curve turned off). I shot that one without any exposure compensation (0 EV), with the camera suggested exposure. Shouldnā€™t the histogram be in the middle?

Every camera have certain tendencies. The manufacturer likes to give some signature so to speak. Your camera seem to be underexposing a stop. This does not mean malfunction. Once you know this, and if you donā€™t like it, then you can correct it manually.
Also, I think that you should apply the base curve to the photo for the histogram evaluation. Because the expected output is a jpeg for manufacturers. Thus the exposure is also computed with basic adjustments in mind.

If you say so, then, Iā€™ll accept that.
In fact, my previous experience with digital cameras is almost non-existent. Before this one, thereā€™s my powershot, and before that, a 4MP Nikon point and shoot.
The strange thing is that if I compensate, say, 2/3 stops, depending on the subject, the resulting image gets really overexposed. Itā€™s like itā€™s not a constant deviation.

@gadolf this might help:

2 Likes

@gadolf

18% grey subject.

I really do not want to make things more complicated, but are you sure your grey subject is reflecting 18%???