OM-1 Support in Darktable

Great tip, thanks!

1 Like

@sugarbravo Iā€™m not familiar with git. How do I add your branch to my current dt master so that I can use your rawspeed to build the latest version of darktable?

Thanks a lot!
I compiled with ./build.sh --prefix /opt/darktable --build-type Release --install --sudo and everything went fine.
OM-1 files work without any issue with this fork.
Just out of curiosity: does it take a lot of work to adapt the master branch from the original DT repo to use the forked rawspeed? Is there more to it than adding the entries to noiseprofiles.json and wb_presets.json? It could be interesting to follow new DT developments even if the OM-1 is not added to the official repo.

I donā€™t think so, should all be contained in the rawspeed submodule (apart from those two json files).

Please note youā€™ll also need to build and replace your system Exiv2 with the one from the 0.27-maintenance branch to get full metadata support for OMDS cameras, for e.g. lens detection etcā€¦

2 Likes

Did you install all dependencies for compiling darktable?
Here are some instructions for building DT: GitHub - darktable-org/darktable: darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer
The exact names of the dependencies may differ from one distro to another.

OK, that is good to know.
Thanks for pointing out the exiv2 version issue. I noticed that I donā€™t get all metadata in darktable with exiv2 version 0.27.5. I get or just ā€˜-ā€™ for several fields. Iā€™ll need to try the maintenance branch.

just for information, by changing the extension of the ORF file to CR3, Darktable opens Libraw and decodes the files of OM-1, ā€¦
seen on the French forum: De la triche

3 Likes

I doubt I had all dependencies there - the error messages I got supports this.

Thank you for the link. Itā€™s so very much appreciated. Iā€™ll give it a try and if Iā€™m successful, Iā€™ll report back here.

1 Like

@MetalMick99 Sorry for not making it clear. My instructions are not intended to be complete for someone wanting to build darktable for the first time or so. They assume darktable in general already builds successfully on your system. The only difference from the standard darktable build would be to use my fork instead of GitHub - sarunasb/darktable: darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer. Changes to support the new brand OM System and the new OM-1 camera are both in darktableā€™s main tree (noise profiles and WB presets) and the rawspeed submodule (base support).

1 Like

@Juha_Lintula Iā€™m not a git guru either. You are free to git clone or fork my fork/branch and incorporate them in your repositories in any way you wish.

If you just want OM-1 support, just take my branch and compile it as you would do for darktable as usual.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated.

In this case we need to add not only a new camera model, but also a new
brand, OM System. So it takes more changes in both darktable and its
rawspeed module.

For noise and white balance, data needs to be added to corresponding
JSON files as well as the new brand to corresponding JSON schema files.
This is in darktable.

For base camera support, which is in rawspeed, adding new brand involves
changes in 5 source files. Then individual cameras can be added by
adding sensor data to cameras.xml only.

My understanding anyway.

2 Likes

@sugarbravo Thanks for the info. I see that the URL for the rawspeed submodule has been changed to point to your fork, so I suppose this will fetch the right branch with OM-1 support. With this info I think I can easily adapt any future updates of darktable.

Do you get any loss of information by converting ORF files to DNG files?

Happy new year Sugarbravo

I have tried compiling this OM version but had lots of trouble with dependencies (I am using ubuntu 22.04 64bit gnome 42.5 windowing system x11). I am not an experienced compiler so may have missed something essential.

I followed the info given on page GitHub - darktable-org/darktable: darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer

but after going through

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt install --fix-broken -y
sudo apt autoremove

The following packages still have unmet dependencies:
liblcms2-dev : Depends: liblcms2-2 (= 2.12~rc1-2build2) but 2.13.1-0xiota0~ubuntu20.04 is to be installed

Is there a way to get around this ? I have tried using ART but canā€™t seem to get files as good as the SOC camera jpgā€™s.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :):slight_smile:

I came across a reference that renaming the files to CR3 causes them to be opened by libraw. Short term you could open DT with a secondary database only for these files and set DT in this case not to write xmp files and then DT will use Libraw and open themā€¦

Its quirky but if you need something to get it to work asap you could try it and then just edit that database later if you need to rename them or just dont worryā€¦people using DNG have files that are renamed after allā€¦

1 Like

I have just tried this and it works!!! Thanks so very much :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

And have a happy new year ahead * * *

Hi Margaret,

Iā€™ve looked at the images that were converted and checked them against the DNG files, and they appear to be unaltered.

If youā€™re enquiring about Exif data then at lot gets pulled across with the conversion. That said, when I commence the conversion process, there is a warning that some DNG info will be absent, and that a plug-in needs to be installed to include this in the conversion. Digikam is available as a downloadable file that, if you mark as executable in its properties, will run Digikam without the need to install, and you can see the warning message in one of the windows. I have tried - but admittedly not very hard - to install the plug-in but not been successful so far.

1 Like

Thanks so very much :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I will try this as well !!

Have a happy year ahead bouncing through the year of the bunny :heart_eyes: :rabbit: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

@Margaret_Wong There might be an issue with your configured repositories. I canā€™t guide you through fixing that, but you may start at checking where those liblcms2-dev versions are coming from

apt policy liblcms2-dev

and then perhaps adjusting repositories, if possible at all.

1 Like