Open CL question darktable V4.5.0+816

I just recently bought a Canon R7 camera and when I try processing the images and play with the details threshold slider in diffuse or sharpen DT crashes. I presumed this was a resource issue. I confirmed DT was working fine with other images and returned to my CR3 files from the Canon R7 and again it crashes.

My solution which appears to be working is to set open CL to use all the device memory. Is this a problem or a suitable solution. Turning open CL off also worked , but I obviously don’t want to do that.

Please post darktable log with ‘-d opencl - d pipe’

For the life of me I can not remember how to start DT from Windows 11 command prompt. I tried to find previous posts on this and looked up the manual but to no avail.

As it contains spaces, you should quote the path to the exe and also leave a space between the command line arguments. Something like

“Program Files\Darktable\bin\darktable.exe” -d opencl -d pipe

Have not testet this. But these errors are jumping to my eyes.

1 Like

My way would be:

In explorer, browse to the folder with darktable.exe, right click on an empty space in the folder, open in terminal. Then you are at the right place.

grafik

Then in terminal do ./darktable.exe -d opencl -d pipe

(I think there was a wrong space in Jens-Hannos second “-d”?)

You need a space between the .exe and -d. Plus, as others said, paths with spaces need double quotes.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the suggestions here and could not get DT to start and generate a log.

Just navigate in the cmd prompt to that directory in the Program FIles folder… ie the bin subfolder of DT and then run dt from there…then you won’t need to worry about path issues…

1 Like

The log file will end up in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\InetCache\darktable\darktable.log

So I followed @apostel338 advice and opened in the terminal. I then typed what he suggested and hit enter. It just brought me back to the same prompt screen.

However typing in the following “./darktable.exe” got darktable to open. I presume without generating a log. (Edit: I have typed the backslash in this sentence but it doesn’t appear on the post for some reason)

If I try adding -d opencl I get the following error message.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Go to windows run, type cmd (command prompt). Enter.
Navigate to the folder path with CD
The start darktable

Do a git pull. There was a bug with debug crashing on windows Fix crash on startup when debug output enabled by victoryforce · Pull Request #15397 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

You don’t need all that extra stuff once you navigate to the bin directory in the cmd prompt just type darktable.exe -d opencl… no quotes or ./ stuff I think that is more for linux…

Edit: also because the logs go to a sort of obscure location that can often be hard to remember you can simply create a symbolic link in the command line so that its easy to find… something like

mklink /J “C:\DT_log” "C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable"

From then on in you just need to go to the DT log directory… opr whatever you choose to call it…

Those look like typographical hypens (–) rather than dashes/minus signs. Just use the same key that you would for a minus.

If you are already in the darktable\bin directory, you don’t need any ./darktable.exe or .\darktable.exe format; in Windows, the current directory is automatically used to search for software to run (this is usually not the case on Linux). darktable should work.
So

c:
cd "\program files\darktable\bin"
darktable -d opencl

I think this depends on the console / terminal used. The method I described opens the Powershell, where only darktable won’t work. With the legacy console, you need to do without ./.

1 Like

Thanks. The .\/darktable.exe format seems excessive, nonetheless.

Still no luck

Is that really a minus d
-d

and not a hyphen d
–d
?

it really should be this:
grafik

edit:
for explanation how powershell does this: if you are calling an .exe file in the current directoy, it must be preceded with "." and the filename must be complete (including the extension)

this is the command line, you can copy and paste it

.\darktable.exe -d opencl

… assuming you are in the darktable\bin folder