Open In Photoshop Plugin for Darktable - Available Now

Find it here:

Not sure how many people here do use Photoshop, probably not many, but I still do. As such I find it convenient to be able to select an image in dt and have it open in PS, bypassing the need to navigate through piles of folder to find the image and open it.

As of now this strictly opens the selected image (does not export, so your dt edits will NOT carry over. I do hope to add that functionality soon though).

When selecting multiple RAW files only the first one will be opened, however, selecting multiple JPG or TIF they will all open as separate images in PS.

RAW files will open in ACR within PS.

4 Likes

I have update the plug-in on github. It now includes “export to Photoshop” capabilities in addition to “open in photoshop”. Installing this one plug-in should give you two new features:

1. A box in lightroom view titled “open in photoshop” with a single “open” button
  2. A new storage method under Export titled “Export to photoshop”

Under Export to photoshop you must select an output directory for the files. The plug-in will automatically remember your last used directory and set that for use next time darktable starts for convenience.

2 Likes

This is great, thanks for sharing it!!
I’ll definitely give it a try, it can be very useful.

Made a minor update to this to support filepaths with spaces. This update requires you also update you other lua scripts to the latest.

updated script

get the latest lua scripts here

1 Like

In an effort to get this included in the master lua scripts repo I’ll be renaming it and making a few other tweaks to genericize this plugin. There is no reason it should be dedicated for opening in Photoshop, in fact it can be used for any application.

3 Likes

Thanks for this. I have no LUA experience but I have at least a rudimentary understanding of scripting and program language. I would like to use this for Pixelmator and it seems that should be simple enough. I edited the not_installed subroutine tp replace “photoshop” with “Pixelmator” but it still says required software not found when I try to launch. Where else do I need to make changes?

Update: I got rid of the errors, so the module runs and export runs, but the application never launches. I would appreciate any assistance

Any plans for Affinity Photo too? I also wouldn’t mind Krita for people who choose Krita over GIMP because ND editing. There’s also Photoflow.

Frank, technically you did not need to make any changes to the code. Just under lua preferences (found as a tab under settings inside DT) point to the pixlemator binary instead of photoshop binary. I would suggest you try that before editing the script. Let me know how it goes.

Also, what operating system are you on?

Not at this time. As I just mention in my reply to Frank this script can be used with programs besides PS as is. Just point to whatever program you want to use it with via the executable path chooser found for this script under lua options in dt’s settings dialog box.

2 Likes

Thanks Kevin.

I tried using the unmodified script. No errors and dialog comes up “Opening in Photoshop” but the application never launches. If I had to guess I would say some permissions are preventing the script from launching another application.

MacOS 10.13.6
DT 2.6.0

Ok, please run dt in debug mode by launching it via:

Darktable -d lua

Then try again with the script. I’m not certain where the debit lognfiles are stored on Mac (it’s document on darktables site. If I get a chance I’ll update this post with the location) open the log file and post the info here please (or message it to me directly)

Thanks

Easier said than done in the Mac world but I got it to launch. Seems the script cannot handle the .app bundles in the mac world, and does not provide a way to navigate to the unix executable. Here are the lines from the terminal

25.777570 LUA Opening in Photoshop
25.778387 LUA OpenInPS run_cmd = “/Applications/Photo tools/Pixelmator.app” /Users/frank/Pictures/Darktable library/2019/March 2019/_FEW0447.ORF
sh: /Applications/Photo tools/Pixelmator.app: is a directory

Might work if I modify the run cmd line to “open -a /path/program”? Nope, not as simple as I thought. Over my head!

This isn’t a limitation of the script, but rather a limitation of macOS. You can find the path by right clicking on the app and selecting Show Package Contents.

While true, I have no way to enter that path in the GUI

Frank Walsh

While slightly error prone, you could type it in.

Otherwise use the cd command in the terminal to navigate to inside the app bundle, then use the pwd command to print the full path, copy and paste it to the dt plugin.

This plugin doesn’t appear to give me an option to type in the path or paste it. It brings up a navigation window. I’ll play around with some options

Frank Walsh

This comment was made on another thread about a similar or the same problem:

1 Like

To all the MaxOS users here. It would be very welcome if someone could find a solution to start .app bundles via the command line.

Update:
I searched myself and found this:

open ./AppName.app --args -AppCommandLineArg

Perhaps a MacOS user can test it.

Unfortunately (as far as my experience shows) that won’t work, Tobias. You need the entire directory path in the command line. For example:

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable --args