Partha's Rawtherapee Build gtk-3 Crashing - opening .jpg [Resolved]

*** Edited thread title for one bug only ****

OSX 10.12.2 - McGimp 2.8.14 64-bit

Just tried Partha’s builds, I experience crashing on opening an image, also it will not export to Gimp, I have set as directed in path but still no export. ( I deleted all relevant folders from Application_Support both Gimp and Rawtherappee before install.)

In comparison re-install Rawtherapee 4.2.1 - opens image without crashing and export to McGimp 2.8.14 64-bit in path and opens in Gimp.

Is there any way I can get error logs from rawtherapee to help in bug solving ?
Thanks
Andrew.

See the writing good bug reports page.

Partha had me copying some temp files to home and posting those to aid in bug hunting.

Thank you

> Executing RawTherapee 5.0.5.0-gtk2 on 
> DATE: 2017-02-04
> TIME: 10:01:17
> Dir is /Applications/RawTherapee-gtk2.app/Contents/MacOS
>  Appdir is /Applications/RawTherapee-gtk2.app
> Current system language is en_US.UTF-8
> About this build ...
> Branch: 
> Version: 5.0.5.0-gtk2
> Changeset: 9fbbb052eefb739753f0f3d631e45694d659610a
> Compiler: cc 8.0.0.8000042
> Processor: generic x86
> System: Apple
> Bit depth: 64 bits
> Gtkmm: V2.24.5
> Build type: Release
> Build flags: -stdlib=libc++ -std=c++14 -O3 -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 -std=gnu++11 -mtune=generic -Werror=unused-label -O3 -DNDEBUG
> Link flags: -headerpad_max_install_names -mtune=generic
> OpenMP support: ON
> MMAP support: ON

> CWD is /Applications/RawTherapee-gtk2.app/Contents/MacOS
> Strip out the argument added by the OS...
> .
> (rawtherapee:4873): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from 'GtkMenuBar' to 'GtkWindow'

> (rawtherapee:4873): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion 'GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
> Assertion failed: (!scaled_font->cache_frozen), function _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy, file cairo-scaled-font.c, line 459

and for gtk-3

> Executing RawTherapee 5.0.5.0-gtk3 on 
> DATE: 2017-02-04
> TIME: 10:48:42
> Dir is /private/var/folders/lt/46yk8_9j17q30pb2g74g17mr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/89774E1D-CEE9-44EA-8641-06E0D83C7C23/d/RawTherapee-gtk3.app/Contents/MacOS
>  Appdir is /private/var/folders/lt/46yk8_9j17q30pb2g74g17mr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/89774E1D-CEE9-44EA-8641-06E0D83C7C23/d/RawTherapee-gtk3.app
> Current system language is en_US.UTF-8
> About this build ...
> Branch: 
> Version: 5.0.5.0-gtk3
> Changeset: 7fe7c4f60f85b47bc1d24b2cfece43444028e3a6
> Compiler: cc 8.0.0.8000042
> Processor: generic x86
> System: Apple
> Bit depth: 64 bits
> Gtkmm: V3.20.1
> Build type: Release
> Build flags: -stdlib=libc++ -std=c++14 -O3 -mmacosx-version-min=10.9 -std=gnu++11 -mtune=generic -Werror=unused-label -O3 -DNDEBUG
> Link flags: -headerpad_max_install_names -mtune=generic
> OpenMP support: ON
> MMAP support: ON

> CWD is /private/var/folders/lt/46yk8_9j17q30pb2g74g17mr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/89774E1D-CEE9-44EA-8641-06E0D83C7C23/d/RawTherapee-gtk3.app/Contents/MacOS
> Strip out the argument added by the OS...

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-keys.css:184:18: The 'gtk-key-bindings' property has been renamed to '-gtk-key-bindings'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-keys.css:188:18: The 'gtk-key-bindings' property has been renamed to '-gtk-key-bindings'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-keys.css:192:18: The 'gtk-key-bindings' property has been renamed to '-gtk-key-bindings'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-keys.css:196:18: The 'gtk-key-bindings' property has been renamed to '-gtk-key-bindings'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-keys.css:200:18: The 'gtk-key-bindings' property has been renamed to '-gtk-key-bindings'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk-keys.css:204:18: The 'gtk-key-bindings' property has been renamed to '-gtk-key-bindings'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gdk-WARNING **: GdkQuartzDisplay does not implement the monitor vfuncs

> (rawtherapee:5345): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from 'GtkMenuBar' to 'GtkWindow'

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion 'GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/theme/Adwaita/assets/check-symbolic.svg.
> This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

> (rawtherapee:5345): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_gadget_distribute: assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkScrollbar

> Assertion failed: (!scaled_font->cache_frozen), function _cairo_scaled_glyph_page_destroy, file cairo-scaled-font.c, line 459.

@Andrew_Clarke the version you’re using is broken. Please wait for the RT 5.0-r1 build (notice the -r1).

Ok, Thank you, looks good. Fab software BTW.

This error is the reason that RT will crash on some files. Are you certain that RT is crashing on every file?

Thanks,
Partha

Just read a thread similar to this and it is indeed only crashing on opening .jpg’s, raw files (.NEF) open OK.
Thanks
Andrew

@Andrew_Clarke, This is important.

Are you saying that it’s crashing on all jpegs or one or two jpegs? Could you please test?

@Morgan_Hardwood,
For those interested, this bug has been around a long time.
Here is one from Ubuntu: Bug #1476736 “Crash in cairo-scaled-font.c:459: _cairo_scaled_gl...” : Bugs : cairo package : Ubuntu

I am still tracking down a solution and if someone has a suggestion, I am open to it.

Is rt made with the latest and greatest Cairo? In case it was related to Cairo bug 93891 which was fixed in 1.15.4
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93891

This topic has no stack backtrace, lists no steps or requirements to reproduce, and it seems to mix at least two unrelated bugs in two completely different RT versions (GTK2 and GTK3), one of which could be completely unrelated to RawTherapee.

@Andrew_Clarke
Open one issue per bug report and include a stack backtrace:
http://rawpedia.pixls.us/index.php/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports
If you get a crash when opening a jpg, send us this jpg using https://filebin.net/

I’m on x11-libs/cairo-1.14.6 and dev-cpp/cairomm-1.12.0-r1 in Sabayon, no crash.

I see in macports the 1.15.4 is available on cairo-devel

@HIRAM, I am using cairo 1.14.8. I’ll update to 1.15.4 and see if it goes away.

Thanks,
Partha

Very good, I’m still a week away from my intranet so no ability to help y’all testing just yet.

Ok, Patha’s build so I presume cairo 1.14.8. I will stick to gtk3.

1. Open program, click folder in ‘File Browser’, click on .jpg image, image starts to load visible in progressbar and then program crashes.

2. Open program, click folder in ‘File Browser’, click on .NEF image, image starts to load, progressbar starts and image appears for editing. go back into ‘File Browser’ click on folder, click on .jpg (same .jpg that crashes on step 1). and the image starts to load visible in progressbar and then opens for editing as expected.

I have tested this using several different .nef and .jpg files so it does not seem to be related to just one file, as I get the save behaviour repeating the same steps 1. and 2. If I open .NEF first .jpg’s load fine afterwards.
Rgds
Andrew

Done more testing and found that some .jpg’s open and others don’t two examples here…

https://filebin.net/lyom5l0tc6f81pnh

D700_00743.jpg - opens as expected without crash.
we_are_hull.jpg - crashes the program

Could it be the EXIF?
D700_00743.jpg contains no EXIF data
we_are_hull.jpg contains only a date in the EXIF data.

Yes it does seem to be that, as I saved that image without exif and it opens fine. All the files I have had trouble with have been saved in GIMP so is it something that GIMP is doing with the exif data.

@Andrew_Clarke thanks for the images. Could not reproduce a crash in Linux. @heckflosse maybe you can in Windows?

I just tried. Does not crash here.