After six months of development since version 0.2.6 was out, I have finally released a new PhotoFlow version, numbered 0.2.7.
Windows and OSX packages are already available from the GitHub release page.
This is definitely the most stable version released so far, as lots of bugs have been cured in both the standalone application and the GIMP plug-in.
Here is the full changelog since previous version, and few highlighted cool new features:
Wavelet-based multi-scale decomposition
PhotoFlow has a new tool that performs wavelet-based multi-scale decomposition non destructively.
The code is based on the similar tool from GIMP, however the PhotoFlow version allows to interactively edit the different decomposition scales.
The process of de-composing and re-composing the detail scales can be automated with ad-hoc presets. One sample preset for a 5-scales decomposition is provided with the PhoFlow distribution (see here).
Using this preset, each detail scale is accessible as a separate non-destructive layer, and each layer can be edited to either remove or enhance details at the corresponding scale. By default, the scales are re-combined from bottom to top in “grain merge” mode, such that the result of the recombination exactly matches the original image.
The individual scale layers can be edited to erase details, for example by painting with a 50% gray color, or adding a layer uniformly filled with 50% gray and then using a layer mask to limit the effect to a specific region.
On the other hand, each layer can also be re-combined directly with the original image to enhance the details at a given scale, for sharpening or local contrast adjustment.
Two new filters have been added for noise reduction, both based on the darktable sources:
- the “hot pixels” filter which is found in the “RAW developer” tool together with the chromatic aberration corrections: the “hot pixels” filter detects the dead pixels which are always saturated, and replaces them with an average of the neighbouring ones
- the “non-local means” noise reduction filter which is found in the “noise reduction” tool, where the “impulse noise reduction” filter can also be found
- Added default application icon and desktop file
- [base] implemented “insert image as layer” funcionality
- [raw processing] added initial support for X-Trans sensors
- [tools] added wavelet-based multi-scale decomposition tool based on GIMP “wavelet decompose” filter (*)
- [tools] added “hot pixels filter” algorithm ported from Darktable (*)
- [tools] added non-local means noise reduction algorithm ported from Darktable
- [tools] added initial implementation of shadows/highlights tool from Darktable (only gaussian blurring)
- [tools] added “defringe” algorithm ported from Darktable (by Edgardo Hoszowski)
- [freehand drawing] added option for choosing a transparent background
- [basic adjustments] added “gamma” adjustment
- [gimp plug-in] the plug-in configuration gets now stored as meta-data in the associated GIMP layer
This gives the possibility to directly paint over a layer with the pencil
- Added (optional) bundling of GExiv2 v0.10.3
(*) contributed by Edgardo Hoszowski
- [base] implemented sharing of cache buffers between preview and export
This dramatically improves the export speed when caching is completed
- [base] changed pixel format of preview pipeline to float
All computations are now performed in floating-point precision
- [icc conversion] disabled ICC transforms when input and output colorspaces are the same
- Removed dependency on LibRAW
- [clone layer] it is now possible to select a single channel as clone target
- [denoise, sharpening] it is now possible to restrict the effect to a single channel
- [gui] last visited folders saved into options file
- [base] changed application data folder under Windows to PROGRAMDATA
- [processing] optimised VipsImage processing order to avoid over-computation of tiles
- [raw processing] improved speed of RAW decoding
- [base] introduced memory-based caching.
The caching reverts to disk storage if the buffer is larger than 500MB or if memory allocation fails
- [gimp plug-in] added ICC conversion to GIMP working profile when returning the output image from the PhotoFlow plug-in
- [rescaling] the image rescaling tool now uses the default high-quality algorithm from vips_resize() function
- [gimp plug-in] improved RAW file matching
- [gimp plug-in] improved detection of input BABL format and GIMP working profile
Now the code works correctly for both gamma-encoded and linear input image data
- [gmic/film emulation] fixed malformed gmic commands for B&W and print film presets
- [raw processing] Fixed output to Lab colorspace
- [demosaicing] Fixed corrupted image border for “Fast” and “IGV” methods
- [lensfun] using LoadDirectory() to open database for bundled lensfun version
- [scale/rotate tool] fixed issue with non-initialized crop area
- [hand drawing] fixel various bugs related in the strokes rendering
- Fixed crash when closing the application or one of the image tabs (see issue #106)
- [gimp plug-in] Fixed crash when closing the GIMP plug-in from either the "Close"button or the window close button
- [gui] increased size of preview tile cache to accommodate 4k displays
- [gui] fixed crashed due to GUI updates inside processor thread