PhotoFlow 0.2.7 released

Hello Carmelo
I would support the idea of chroma_ghost (if I’ve understood properly :-)) about the details of layers. It would be simpler to select the layer on the left and see only the details of this layer on right. For me to have twice the list of layers is a bit confusing and seems not to bring more information.
The mask, if selected, is visible when the layer is selected.
+1 also for the solo mode and the ability to see a single layer.
Thank you again for this impressive tool.
Philippe

I’d like to correct my previous comment about hot pixels reduction not working, it is inaccurate statement - glad hadn’t the bible under my arm pit - it kind of works but in my particular case in order to mitigate those communist rebels, image has to suffer substantial quality loss.

Above raw with a basic adjustments layer (basically contrast), amaze method.

Below exact same settings except for hot pixels filter enabled, also igv 4 steps false colour suppression which I found to be the one that further reduces the problem. Hot pixels marginally but still visible and (mainly due to detect by 3 neighbours option) HL’s spots affected, cleaner but much softer image overall, washed colours, logically, more pronounced on redish hues

Clarification, not a big deal 4 me, as I can save a clone tool pfp preset and apply it to raw images :relaxed:

Which leads me to ask is there an option like RPP has (I believe also darktable ) to set a default for the develop settings regarding a particular camera or folder? OR better, an automated filter load option, so that when I open a raw file (either from a specified folder, either from a specified camera or raw type) the selected filter(s) are immediately loaded?
Merci :cow2:

Hi!

the hot pixels you show in the screenshots look quite broad… I think that the filter is not really designed to cure such case. It works very well with single isolated hot pixels, but I have never tested it on such hot pixels clusters.

Anyhow, the filter is directly derived from Darktable’s hot pixels module… have you checked if DT gives you better results? If yes, it means I need to either update my code or fix some bug.

Concerning the “default develop settings”, I am working on such an option, but at the moment the code is really rudimental: it allows to save a preset as a “default develop settings”, and use it for all RAW files regardless of the camera model.

If you want to give that a try, you can:

• select the layers that you want to have applied automatically to all opened RAW images
  • save the layers as a specific preset: $HOME/.photoflow/presets/default.pfp
  • open a new image and check that the addition layers have been correctly added

I still plan to work on this feature, particularly to have different presets for different camera models and, within the same model, different ISO settings…

1 Like

I have never tested it on such hot pixels clusters.

Ha ha ha…I feed them politicians’ tongues and layers’ brains, they’ve become megalomaniacs’ clusters :dizzy_face:

• select the layers that you want to have applied automatically to all opened RAW images
  • save the layers as a specific preset: $HOME/.photoflow/presets/default.pfp
  • open a new image and check that the addition layers have been correctly added

THANK YOU, that works PERFECTLY!!! :fireworks::dolls::boom:

PD
Darktable is no better at it

Hi again!

Concerning your recent suggestions:

• tool controls: I have been considering the option of having the tool controls directly inside the layer list. Double-clicking a layer would expand the corresponding list entry and show the controls. No more need for a separate panel for showing the tool controls widgets. What do you think?
  • the push-pin-like button near the layer name activates the preview of the corresponding layer (instead of previewing the final composite image). Is this what you meant by “preview one layer alone”?
  • HSL curves for all layers: that’s a good suggestion, I will keep that in mind…
  • crashes when deleting layers: there is indeed still a bug in the latest release, which is already fixed in the git stable branch… if you like, I will send you an updated OSX package for testing today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

No please, don’t; I like the settings in a separate tab, keeps layers tidy and structure understandable at a simple glance. Photoflow already has implemented a nice workflow :wink:, I’m just nitpicking, throwing some ideas to you and the community so to create feedbackS. CONTEXT: in PS I’ve been editing with a similar layout as PF has for a long time. For me (my right eye commands) all essential tab are parked on the left, it is also super useful only having the settings (a)live when I’m about to tweak them, again PF already does that but I find not in an optimised way - at the end of a long edit you notice having to double click so much - for instance when you double click a layer (being OR NOT any settings tab there) image gets smaller and viewer updates, more layers create a delayed accumulative preview and overall responsiveness.

the push-pin-like button near the layer name activates the preview of the corresponding layer (instead of previewing the final composite image). Is this what you meant by “preview one layer alone”?

Okayyyy… nice. Kind of, as it only soloes in relation to layers above; I understand that has many implications as RAW loader and Raw developer modules are there as layers also. I think solo as in sound mix consoles. Colour, could have a colour.

PS
Maybe a lock option that ONLY affects the raw uploader, raw developer and/or background modules’ layers could be a compromise, then solo/pin mode could disable both upwards and downwards layers. I don’t know, thinking out loud… something to ponder I guess =)

PSS

I think it would be more simple if

• pin/solo mode’s button on either raw uploader, raw developer and/or background is hidden
  • and on any other layers would first lock layers mentioned above and then disable any other layer thus becoming a true solo mode… one cannot solo just a curves, will always need the BKG/raw context

if you like, I will send you an updated OSX package for testing today or tomorrow.

Please do, glad to be of use :flashlight:

I have prepared a testing package from the current stable branch: https://filebin.net/am1v89iszewyj11g

It should:

• fix the annoying crashes when deleting layers
  • provide a better behaviour of the “file export” dialog wit respect to file types and file extensions (you will maybe tell me if it is more intuitive or not)

Concerning the widgets layout, would you find more user-friendly a configuration with the layer list on the left of the preview, and the histogram and tool controls on the right of the preview?

I prefer to give you straightaway a quick & dirty feedback as I have some bodies to burry

EXPORT
Now name of origin file + extension’s there (.jpg) - that’s nice =)
but when I change to export the file as tif, extension remains .jpg
Why is there a All supported formats in the type the drop menu?

:cactus: Sugestion: is minimal but IF IT’S POSSIBLE where the drop menu is - ideally on top, near file name’s box - you can place a couple (as right now there’s only jpg and tif options) buttons with the type file. So when you export name of origin file is there by default and when you select type, extension is added to whatever name you’ve chosen.

BTW - on the tips export image to raster image format is too… detailed, what about export image? Same with others, save photoflow project and save as photoflow project or save a copy of photoflow project, if radicalizing you could even take out photoflow; save, save as, export

Remember the bug with post normalize in the GMIC film emulators :wink:

DELETE/CRASH

Regarding deleting several selected layers, no crash, CHECKED

But PF crashed several times when changing the file in raw uploader

Positioning wise I find it good as it is :golf:

Hi !

For Windows 10, is there an equivalent path ?
NB: it seems that PF does not show the hidden folders, then this may be not possible …
Thank you
Philippe

The default.pfp file is not yet supported under windows, but I can add this feature rather easily… I’ll prepare a test installer in a couple of days, if you want to give it a try.

Great ! I’m not as expert as other contributors here but I would be happy to help.

NOTES on possible PF’s cosmetics

• When clicking show/hide checkbox layer doesn’t get selected, ONLY clicking over layer’s name selects layer

• Histogram from Rawtherapee, personally don’t like the grid but the view options are great

• Free positioning of viewer at any zoom %

• Save and export options could be darker and get lighter when you hover over them

• When selecting working file (top) the active one goes lighter and slighty downwards

• When selecting Layers / Masks / ??? tab goes slightly upwards and lighter, obviously previously selected opposite luminosity and desplacement

• Pin (solo mode) turns green when activated

LIVE mode

One click layer and settings show, click layer again and they hide; ideally floating window if not aligned by center.
Possibility of pinning the window

Just for fun, In live mode Gioconda’s button turns green, if pushing further she closes her eyes when not in live mode, slighty desaturated too :stuck_out_tongue:

The name of the botton is just a breeze thought, in any case I’ll most def put your name next to open source *)=

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate!

I’ve also been doing some UI tests over the weekend, also following what @assaft suggested in the other thread… here is a possible simplified layout:

Smaller sliders, and controls below the layers list. It is a bit tight on a 800px high screen, but should be OK at 1200px or more.

3 Likes

Nice, less clutter :seedling:

By simply moving open, save, etc buttons to the right you’ll gain a bit of precious extra vertical space… I doubt anybody would be opening more than 4 or 5 files in a single session. Just my 2c

So where did basic adj, curves and the others go?

I’ve put the buttons array back on the left of the layers list. The top open/save/etc… buttons will eventually be replaced by menu entries with shortcuts…

Here is how it looks like on a 1920x1200 panel:

It seems I still have to take a look into this… will do it this evening.

Thanks!

@phweyland I found the problem with your preset: it is the presence of the “&” character in the layer names that breaks the parsing of the preset file. I have to find a fix for this…

A bit old now… Is the default.pfp feature available for windows now ? How to use it ?

Is there something new about default.pfp ? If yes where should we store it ?

Not yet, but I am currently working on the windows package and I will look into that in the next days. Currently my main goal is to prepare a reliable 64-bits win version (the old ones are 32-bits), which might also fix the problem you reported here.