PhotoFlow News and Updates

I cannot guarantee such a fast response each time, but I’ll do my best :wink:

2 Likes

I confirm that the latest Appimage fixed the above-described problem. Thanks again.

1 Like

I have pushed some changes to the ICC transform code in photoflow, which fixes some small inconsistencies in dark areas when going from linear to non-linear V4 profiles. The updated code uses my own custom ICC transform code only when going from one linear profile to another, and uses LCMS for everything else. This until I find the way to improve the precision of my custom transforms…

By the way, I am gradually getting back into the photoflow coding business, after some with no spare time at all…

1 Like

Good to hear that you have found more time and motivation. :+1:

Motivation never ceased, spare time is another story… :wink:

2 Likes

Opening this Iridient DNG makes PF crash.

be aware, Iridient DNG files are already demosaiced

Still shouldn’t crash the app. PF should be able to open DNGs regardless (or let the user know if it can’t or isn’t supported).

1 Like

I totally agree… I will have a look at this later today.

While the Iridient DNG is still not properly handled in PhF, I have introduced some code that avoids the crashes and pops up a dialog that warns the user about the problem:

Now that message dialogs are implemented, I will extend their use to other error conditions in the software…

Meanwhile I will try to introduce support for already-demosaiced DNGs like the Iridient one.

1 Like

One more short update: some recent changes broke the visualization of layer masks. Now this is fixed as well…

1 Like

I have started to re-work the visualization of the grid and handles in the crop tool. This is where I stand so far:

Next steps will be to make the grid configurable, and allow non-regular patterns like the golden rule, and to change the mouse pointer according to which function is triggered by the mouse movement (activation of one handle, dragging in the central area, etc…).

What do you think?

1 Like

This is a followup to my distortion correction question. When I opened your PFI and exported a TIF, the distortion was different from your JPG output: Landscape near Altaussee - #30 by Carmelo_DrRaw. I don’t know the cause ATM. Could simply be a different Lensfun version. PFIs don’t currently hold export information (I think I asked about that before) but I don’t think export would change the distortion or crop; or G’MIC resize would change it.

I am using PhotoFlow_git_stable_w64_20200112_1509_22bdf by the way. Another problem that I have is rotate doesn’t auto crop when I export. 20191001T162108.pfi. Edit looks like it works after I toggle auto crop off then on again.

It could be a lensfun version mismatch between my own version on MacOS and the Windows version. I am now looking into this. Could you provide me an example of the output you obtain, with the corresponding PFI file, so that I can see if I can reproduce it exactly?

Sounds like a bug in the logic than handles the auto-crop button. I am trying to reproduce this as well.

No need to upload the PFI. I used yours with PhotoFlow_git_stable_w64_20200112_1509_22bdf. Exported using the default settings and resized using G’MIC.

My machine

Your Play Raw

1 Like

I have introduced a number of improvements in the optical corrections, namely:

• better auto-matching of camera/lens combo using on EXIF data. This is based on a looser association heuristics in the LensFun code, so it needs to be tested to see if this is not introducing too many false matches

• the vignetting correction has been moved after the highlights reconstruction. Otherwise the highlights recovery was sometimes confused by the increase in luminance introduced by the vignetting correction

• the focus distance now defaults to 1000 m when not available in the EXIF data. Before it was set to zero, thus de-activating some of the corrections.

The new code is available in both the stable and v0.3.1-rc1 branches.

2 Likes

Using 6abe5 on macOS I get a lens mismatch on a recent Play Raw (Sailboat at the Baltic Sea):

1 Like

This lens is actually not present in the LensFun DB (and not precisely described in the EXIF data).
The previous, more strict code would give an “unknown lens”, while the new one shows the closest match… I have to see if there is some sort of “match score” criteria that we can use to reject clearly wrong matches.

1 Like

That’s true, it is not present in Lensfun.

Up to now I didn’t bother as the lens has very less distortion…

Hi there,
I just wonder whether “insert image as layer” menu might allow resizing (or even stretching, tiling) the inserted image. Then, it can be a real time saver for those looking for such a tool.