[Play Raw] Evening haze

Thanks for the nice words @afre.
@DxO-user I think you already found my youtube channel. Other than that, you can search for [tutorial] here in the forum. There are some nice ones by some talented members. Also check the PIXLS.US - Articles !!

Has to be
Michail Alvanos

@iarga OMG…

1 Like

No, I am Sushi & Fries.
But Michail also does interesting things.

I’ve seen one of those videos. High quality.

There is just way to few RT tutorials on YouTube , at least compared to Lightroom …

That is definitely true…

My attempt (I went a bit heavy-handed on saturation…):
_DSC0134

2 Likes

True. I’m new here, can someone point me out where should I post a suggestion in this regard for RT?
Because I was thinking that there are some tools (like the dehaze and channel mixer) that would really benefit if there was an option where you could choose their output only affecting the luminosity channel.

Thanks @Timur for sharing the paw. Comrades {very silly monty pythonesque, old fashioned and cumbersome greeting}

How do I gaze, where does my pupils go? The golden stream, scattered thoughts around those clouds, the pastures maybe of green… It remind me of bill calhaham’s riverguard taxi drive. After the first read, me eyes got caught in an “Y” shaped track on the fields… and that’s all I need to get started, no need to be beautiful, just enough teeth to smile.
Anyway :lizard: RT 5.5

_DSC0134_RT.pp3.zip (4.1 KB)

Image magick:
convert "$f" -unique-colors -scale 0.01% "${f%.*}_qsmall.png" && convert "${f%.*}_qsmall.png" -resize 800x "${f%.*}_squant.png"

Cheers

Edited IM’s script

2 Likes

Who doesn’t love a few artefacts?

@chroma_ghost is that a CubeHelix gradient?

So, as final result:
_DSC0134
_DSC0134.NEF.xmp (14.0 KB)

4 Likes

Hi @chroma_ghost, what exactly you’re doing here?
I mean, I’ve read the docs and they say

-unique-colors
discard all but one of any pixel color.

… but I don’t really get the meaning of it.

EDIT: Does it get one pixel for each color present in the image then sorts them by luminance?

Hey Gustavo. I just copied the code (cannot really remember if was from one of Fred’s scripts, likely). The _rez to 800px part I must have introduced for some purpose that cannot recall, edited for clarity. For the rest, as I understand it, IM’s script “scales” the image down to a mere strip of (here it depends on the scale parameter) several individual pixls, and then upscales it and smooths them to a gradient. Without gradient and upscaled in nearest neighbor mode, gives you this

PS
Fred Weinhaus has his own much more feature rich version - dominant color

which with dominantcolor -m 3 -n 12 -f 50 -p all -s save "$f" gives

FW_swatches

1 Like

_DSC0134dt
_DSC0134.NEF.xmp (29.7 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks @chroma_ghost.
In a more free interpretation of that result, it looks to me as if it represents the image’s color palette.

That’s the idea… a loose one though, never tested the accuracy of the method. I stopped using it here (not FLOSS) but for my own stuff I prefer the well-sorted and now discontinued mcolor designer (quant); which for the current image (ref to my edit), 12 samples ordered by value will give the following:

AFAIK, macos only; GUI

1 Like

Here is my attempt.

As the others have said, this one was kind of hard. When I focused on one aspect of the image, the others suffered. In particular, the sky became washed out and splotchy when I pushed things to fit my vision. It was a look that I didn’t want. As usual, my edits were global in nature; I suppose if I did some local editing, things would have been much simpler.

Since the brightness and contrast of the sky and earth were so different, I used enfuse to merge the original image with a brighter version. Another thing I did differently was resize the image to width=3600, which is twice that of my typical entry, to let the fine detail in the trees show. I do regret that the river reflection isn’t nearly as golden as some of the other entries but overall, despite the compromises, I am okay with how it turned out.

Edit: Also, the high contrast of the dark clouds against the sky is too distracting now that I have re-read the post. Oh well, too late to change things…

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → WB (shade) → lens corrections → RCD → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → sRGB 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels → crop (2:1) [A] → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) [B]
3. enfuse → merge A B (contrast)
4. gmic → blend (retinex, hlg) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves alt) → local contrast, sharpen (guided) → increase chroma (curve) → sharpen (LoG) → resize (3600)

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

1 Like

Updated the workflow. Looks saner now. :slight_smile:

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → WB (shade) → lens corrections → RCD → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → sRGB 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels → crop (2:1) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves)
3. pnmclahe → enhance contrast
4. gmic → blend (Retinex, HLG) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → local contrast, sharpen (guided) → increase chroma (curves) → sharpen (LoG) → resize (3600)

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

2 Likes