[Play Raw] Evening haze

Who doesn’t love a few artefacts?

@chroma_ghost is that a CubeHelix gradient?

So, as final result:
_DSC0134
_DSC0134.NEF.xmp (14.0 KB)

4 Likes

Hi @chroma_ghost, what exactly you’re doing here?
I mean, I’ve read the docs and they say

-unique-colors
discard all but one of any pixel color.

… but I don’t really get the meaning of it.

EDIT: Does it get one pixel for each color present in the image then sorts them by luminance?

Hey Gustavo. I just copied the code (cannot really remember if was from one of Fred’s scripts, likely). The _rez to 800px part I must have introduced for some purpose that cannot recall, edited for clarity. For the rest, as I understand it, IM’s script “scales” the image down to a mere strip of (here it depends on the scale parameter) several individual pixls, and then upscales it and smooths them to a gradient. Without gradient and upscaled in nearest neighbor mode, gives you this

PS
Fred Weinhaus has his own much more feature rich version - dominant color

which with dominantcolor -m 3 -n 12 -f 50 -p all -s save "$f" gives

FW_swatches

1 Like

_DSC0134dt
_DSC0134.NEF.xmp (29.7 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks @chroma_ghost.
In a more free interpretation of that result, it looks to me as if it represents the image’s color palette.

That’s the idea… a loose one though, never tested the accuracy of the method. I stopped using it here (not FLOSS) but for my own stuff I prefer the well-sorted and now discontinued mcolor designer (quant); which for the current image (ref to my edit), 12 samples ordered by value will give the following:

AFAIK, macos only; GUI

1 Like

Here is my attempt.

As the others have said, this one was kind of hard. When I focused on one aspect of the image, the others suffered. In particular, the sky became washed out and splotchy when I pushed things to fit my vision. It was a look that I didn’t want. As usual, my edits were global in nature; I suppose if I did some local editing, things would have been much simpler.

Since the brightness and contrast of the sky and earth were so different, I used enfuse to merge the original image with a brighter version. Another thing I did differently was resize the image to width=3600, which is twice that of my typical entry, to let the fine detail in the trees show. I do regret that the river reflection isn’t nearly as golden as some of the other entries but overall, despite the compromises, I am okay with how it turned out.

Edit: Also, the high contrast of the dark clouds against the sky is too distracting now that I have re-read the post. Oh well, too late to change things…

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → WB (shade) → lens corrections → RCD → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → sRGB 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels → crop (2:1) [A] → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) [B]
3. enfuse → merge A B (contrast)
4. gmic → blend (retinex, hlg) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves alt) → local contrast, sharpen (guided) → increase chroma (curve) → sharpen (LoG) → resize (3600)

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

1 Like

Updated the workflow. Looks saner now. :slight_smile:

1. PhotoFlow → HL mode (blend) → WB (shade) → lens corrections → RCD → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → sRGB 32f
2. gmic → filter pixels → crop (2:1) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves)
3. pnmclahe → enhance contrast
4. gmic → blend (Retinex, HLG) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → local contrast, sharpen (guided) → increase chroma (curves) → sharpen (LoG) → resize (3600)

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

2 Likes

darktable 2.60

_DSC0134.NEF.xmp (7,3 Ko)

1 Like

Add sea instead of river and forest and you will get perfect illustration to “Scarlet Sails” by Alexander Grin :+1:

Another attempt (v3): third time’s a charm. :blush:

2. gmic → filter pixels → crop (2:1) → HLG (curve)
3. pnmclahe → enhance contrast
4. gmic → blend (Retinex) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → local contrast, sharpen (guided) → increase chroma (curve) → sharpen (LoG) → resize (3600)

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

1 Like