[Play Raw] Everything frozen

Okay, okay here’s another one.
-5 and croppidy crop…

5 Likes

@asn Reminds me of stalactites, etc., but they are icicles! The waterfall reminds me of how I like to pour my antifreeze or tea :stuck_out_tongue:. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:.

@chroma_ghost @McCap Appreciate the crops.

That’s a nice crop mr pixel mc… if fight wants against trapeizodal shape, is less dynamic and more prone to spectators… kind of passive agressive with the strong faling dush that burns light - ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) - and all

@afre appreciated ur appreciation { emoji of a goat that finds god, then dies}

1 Like

Yes, the lens is not part of the lensfun database yet. I’ve started to take pictures for it, but I need to redo the vignetting part. I will do it when I have my new camera and have to profiles for the new lenses too.

1 Like

Then it would look like a crime scene :scream:

Here is my first B&W attempt with PhotoFlow:

everything_frozen-phf1

everything_frozen-1.pfi (78.8 KB)

3 Likes

My version using darktable :slight_smile:

everything_frozen.nef.xmp (8.7 KB)

1 Like

My try using darktable. Added some straightening and perspective correction.

everything_frozen.nef.xmp (14.4 KB)

1 Like

Hi everybody RawTherapee-5.4-rc2 rocks (so do darktable and others but RT 5.4 is shiny new!)

pp3 also attached

everything_frozen.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

Hi there. It’s been a while for me since my last visit, so I hope that I respect all rules applicable here.

@asn: What a great location and a nice shot.

Here is my interpretation

I cheated a bit, as I developed in darktable but than I also did a little dodge and burn and web (resize+sharpen) prep in gimp.
Here is my xmp everything_frozen.nef.xmp (9.0 KB)

6 Likes

Good interpretation! I like the tones and textures.

Don’t worry about that.

Great shot! Thanks for sharing.

Once I have seen it, it felt like this is a BW image (although there are interesting colors). Conversion in darktable without any special tweaking. (only desaturation, tone curve and local contrast)

4 Likes

I like your edit. What did you fix with the defringe module?

@asn Thank you.

If you look at some icicles, for example right of the waterfall in front of the darker area, you see some color fringes at 100% view with defringe turned off.

Screenshot_with_defringing_turned_off

Nothing too visible though and the defringe module gets rid of most of it with a single click.

Screenshot_with_defringing_turned_on

Both picutres are not actual exports from darktable but simple screenshots.

1 Like

Try raw auto ca correction. It does a better job to get rid of them imho.

3 Likes

@heckflosse Yep, you are right. I just tried it out and exported the image with defringe off an CA removal on. CA removal really gets rid of the fringes.

Nevertheless, I used defringe as quick try out and it worked well enough for me on this picture so I did not bother to try out CA removal. Also, as I cropped a bit, the view in the darkroom module is not reliable when zoomed in if I understand the manual correctly. Quote:
"The underlying model assumes as input an uncropped photographic image. The module is likely to fail when you zoom into the image, as in that case it will only receive parts of your photograph as input in darktable’s pixelpipe. As a consequence, chromatic aberrations do not get corrected properly in the center view. This limitation only applies to interactive work, not to file export. "

But after that little experiment I lean towards using CA removal first as it is a nice one click solution. If I see poblems after export, I will try again with defringe.

1 Like

That may be true for darktable. I referred to using the raw auto ca correction in Rawtherapee which always is applied on the whole raw data. The algorithm in darktable is the same as in rawtherapee though. But it’s true that applying it just to a part of a raw file (as in darktable preview) may lead to differences between preview and final output.

1 Like

raw auto ca correction also has limitations. For example if you shoot angainst bright light (e.g. leaves against the sunlight) you will get fringes raw auto ca correction is not able to fix (it wasn’t designed for that). In that case defringe is your friend too.

1 Like

My try using RawTherapee:

1 Like

Rawtherapeeeverything_frozen.nef.pp3 (11.5 KB)
and gimp

1 Like