[Play Raw] meanwhile in the forest...

I shot this one 2 weeks ago, in het Mastbos. At first i really didn’t feel the image, suddenly today i thought it was alright and did a quick edit with darktable. Now i’m curious what you can make of it.
Image is CC-BY

IMG_0779.CR2.xmp (9.1 KB)
IMG_0779.CR2 (26.0 MB)

19 Likes

DT 3.7
11 IMG_0779.CR2.xmp (27.1 KB)

3 Likes

I love to wander the woods in the morning. All sorts of light like this; nice capture.

A scene like this provides its own vignette. I just used a filmic curve to push the shadows down and lift the light. Highlight recovery, because the parts outside the shade usually blow.

6 Likes

I threw a saved style on which I knew I had pushed saturation.
Originally the saved style was for indoor karting at night, but I think works quite nicely bringing out the golden light.
IMG_0779.CR2.xmp (9.5 KB)

4 Likes

I’ve tried to express the feeling I have in such situations: the high contrast between light and dark areas, and the dreamy effect of the beams of light.

IMG_0779.jpg.out.pp3 (14.7 KB)

9 Likes

A really nice shot, thanks for sharing!

Filmulator, -0.67EV, max. film area, white clipping 0.72624, shadow brightness 49.724, highlight brightness 1000, vibrance 69 (I guess it’s too much, but seemed nice when I did it :-)).

2 Likes

Very nice shot indeed! As the others, I tried to emphasize the contrast between the light rays and the forest. However, both global and local contrast do not cut it in my opinion, hence I used a drawn mask to reduce the brightness in the corners and draw the eye towards the center.

IMG_0779.CR2.xmp (12.5 KB)

4 Likes

Photoflow:

IMG_0779.jpg.pfi (40.3 KB)

3 Likes

mmmh that does work very well.

2 Likes

meanwhile.in.the.forest.pp3 (15.3 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development.

Nice one, Kees! Thanks for sharing it.

5 Likes

thanks for posting,
darktable 3.6

IMG_0779_01.CR2.xmp (23.8 KB)

3 Likes

A very beautiful image which I have no doubt spoilt!
Done in GIMP, using a luminosity plugin to adjust brightness and saturation in various areas. Followed by slight sharpening with wavelet decompose.

2 Likes

5 Likes

IMG_0779.CR2.xmp (15.9 KB)

1 Like

My fun in GIMP 2.10.24 layer modes and Lab colors

5 Likes

well quite challenging to edit it, and this is the first comes to mind… (IMG_0779.CR2.xmp 12.6 KB)

3 Likes

nice

…a bit of autumn atmosphere

edited on laptop

meanwhile in the forest_IMG_0779.CR2.xmp (14.4 KB)

4 Likes

IMG_0779.CR2.pp3 (14.4 KB)

2 Likes

Beautiful photo
I didn’t like any of the edits I did in colour so I tried for Black and white.
After selecting the preset (18) in Silver Effects, I added a slight blue tint to make it more Silver looking.

3 Likes

Nice edit… what role does saturation play in Haze removal? The control is seen in dev, but not in 5.8

1 Like