[Play Raw] Peaceful mountain view

I hiked in foothills by the Rockies and snapped this picture back in June.
JPEG SOOC:

For some reason it makes me feel peaceful and cozy so I decided to post process it.
I could not find a right balance between sharpness and haze and saturation for my eye so I thought I would upload it here to see if anyone has better ideas or uses better tools.

Darktable:

20180603_140157.dng.xmp (5.3 KB)

20180603_140157.dng (17.9 MB)
released under CC BY-NC-SA license.

Please use open source tools only.

4 Likes

Thanks for the picture.

20180603_140157.dng.xmp (8.1 KB)

1 Like

Nice composition, didn’t do much to that. Sky is a bit blown, but the rest of the scene is nicely exposed. So the two modifications of note I made were 1) a bit of crop to emphasize the river, and 2) added some color with HSL saturation.

Living in the state, I’m partial to the scene. Where is this?

2 Likes

Nice crop.

Nice work. I actually thought about that crop too.
The shot taken near Bragg Creek which is in Alberta, Canada

Oh, gee, bad assumption; the Rockies aren’t confined to Colorado… :smile:

Still a nice image.

I’ve discovered @Iain’s turbulent halftone G’MIC filter and so far I love it. I would add things to it if I could but I don’t think I can think of anything really good.

2 Likes

@Andrius nice view ( I like roots, complex brains, separate teeth), thanks for sharing.
Forum peers… hat off {clumsy! brain slips to the ground, quickly scoop it up, spit, clean it with coat’s sleeve… ah like new, back inside into the divine flow of warmthness made of (mostly) shitty thoughts}

First bath with the latest and greatest photoflagradinno; if you keep giving the baby steroids, he’s gonna eat horses in no time @Carmelo_DrRaw :+1: new module :sunny:

20180603_140157.tif.pfi.zip (5.3 KB)

to gimp-gmic for more or less the usual and a LUT (same of this thread)

God bless you all, those being bad or deep in scene referred sins, god bless you twice
:seedling:

PS
@Joan_Rake1 you also need to develop the antidote :stuck_out_tongue: :parrot::beetle::honeybee::taco::banana::snake::scorpion:

PS 2, forgot skoria shot

3 Likes

20180603_140157.dng.xmp (16.4 KB)

2 Likes

Over-processed version

20180603_140157.dng.pp3 (14.2 KB)

1 Like

Nice shot @Andrius. Personally, I thought that the horizontal dead tree and the vertical trees on the right did not go well with the diagonal lines of foreground grass and the rows of trees. So, here is my take using GIMP.

And a tighter crop

2 Likes

Nice work! I personally like the image before gimp-gmic. I did a great job recovering highlights.

darktable: 20180603_140157.dng.xmp (6.4 KB)

2 Likes

I like how you recovered clipped areas in the sky. When I do that in dt they usually get purplish…

Thanks. You should play with the threshold slider of highlights reconstruction iop in Lch mode to get rid of that purplish. You can also use parametric masks to select that area in another iop and deal with it there. I prefer the first approach :slightly_smiling_face:

Yup, you’re totalclik right; that’s what tired eyes and automatized brain funk-tions (no excuse though) would make me do; it is way overdone, who’s eating that cookies? I tried a less than 1/3 opacity mix and was better. But the truth {where’s god’s righteous ray piercing through the clouds!!! I have to stop thinking I’n in a cheap version of anAlong with the Gods universe}, so the truth, or at least where I agree 103% with you is that a good,clean,natural god fearfull edit work-vest.

This is the one is actually my favourite, not a FOSS child though, burn him, the bastard, BUUUUURRRNNNN HIM!!! Not so much as a bettered participating version but if you don’t mind I’ll like to leave it here as a reminder (at least for me) of the way for pubic tao :pray::egg:

I agree with @shreedhar. The dark mass overwhelms the rest of the photo. @chroma_ghost made it better (with non-FOSS :fire_extinguisher::fire:).

People are obsessed with making the sky show up in a powerful way but I like a subtle and smooth sky. So, like it or not, subtle it is. I cropped out much of the dead wood in the foreground because, as I remarked earlier, I find it quite imposing.

This time, I used the CA and defringe tools of RT, which I tend not to because I am such a minimalist. Since I have trouble with colours in general, I didn’t quite know how to approach the CA and fringes problem, so I simply acquiesced to the defaults. If someone could share how they go about making the correction step-by-step, in a PM or another thread, that would be great.

Oh, I just realized that I forgot to take advantage of RCD+VNG4. Oh well…

Workflow

1. RawTherapee → HL mode (blend, 100) → defringe → linear Rec2020 (no clipping) → AMaZE+VNG4 (auto, no border) → CA (auto) → filter pixels → 32f

2. gmic → crop (2:1) → sharpen (high freq) → HLG (curve) → blends (retinex, negate) → adjust brightness, contrast (curves) → sharpen (LoG) → resize

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

1 Like

Here is my alt. Basically, the workflow is the same as the original except I enhanced the contrast after the blends step using pnmclahe. I like how it makes the image have a washed out look with a nice texture too.

Zoom 100% and enjoy!

My contribution with darktable 2.60
20180603_140157.dng.xmp (8,6 Ko)