[Play Raw] Sky, sea and rocks with reflecting light near Guérande

My take. Thank you for a really nice pic!

P1030207.RW2_hohoho.pp3 (12.2 KB)

5 Likes

Nice shot.

sky.sea.rocks_01.rw2.xmp (14.3 KB) darktable 3.0.2

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Thanks for your photo, My try with DT 3.0.1

P1030207.RW2.xmp (11.6 KB)

1 Like

Photoflow:

P1030207.pfi (32.8 KB)

3 Likes

I really like what you did with the colors, I’ll try to mimic that in Darktable :slight_smile:

1 Like

P1030207.RW2.xmp (12.1 KB)

P1030207_01.RW2.xmp (21.2 KB)

P1030207.pfi (50.7 KB)

My try in GIMP. I think I got carried away with this one! Also I have just noticed that I have introduced artifacts around the rocks.

3 Likes

Artifacts apart (the bright sky visible through the trees and around the outer left and right parts of the horizon too ?), nice sky, tones and subtly light up houses on the coast, I like the idea !

Here’s my attempt in dt3.0.2 Looks a bit muddy in the sRGB export for some reason.

P1030207.RW2.xmp (20.2 KB)

Thank you for the kind words. As to the artifacts, I think the
moral is that I should walk away at regular intervals and return
with fresh eyes. Hopefully I have learnt something from this
exercise.

P1030207.RW2.xmp (9.1 KB)

1 Like

here is my attempt (with darktable)

P1030207.RW2.xmp (147.5 KB)

3 Likes

Interesting exercise in rawtherapee

P1030207-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13.0 KB)

1 Like

@crobby49 Nice ! I’m really intrigued by the techniques you used in your edit, I’ll inspect the xmp right away !

@CriticalConundrum I like the way the light diffusion across the image is intense yet still seem natural. Maybe the center of the sky slightly blown out but the target is reach : It do not feel over processed but the final rendering is quite dramatic :slight_smile:

I guess I should try rawtherapee too …

P1030207.jpg.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)

I wanted to entertain myself …and perhaps you guys as well. So here’s how it was done :smiley:

1 Like

A second attempt at this atmospheric picture - this time hopefully without the artifacts!

2 Likes

Thanks for the video (+music) & the edits ! The color one is subtle (a bit on the blue side) and the B&W gives this fun old postcard compressed DR even if the sky have been greyed-out in the process. RT interface always seemed to be lacking in elegance but seeing it in use it is very functional, I should try it !

1 Like

The image quality in the fine details suffered from the processing but the overall appearance is quite nice and no visible artifact anymore when looked at lower scale :slight_smile: