[Play Raw] Street scene challenge

It’s a challenge going to the streets and asking people to take photos of them. I had luck with this sweet girl, who was surprised with my request but gently allowed me to do some shots. Even more, she kept the pose that originally attracted me.
It’s not as sharp as I would like it to be, either because of wrong settings, poor lenses or the photographer, I don’t know. But it still pleases me.
Darktable 7 workflow: WB → Exposure → Denoise (using @rawfiner’s channel denoise, here) → crop → haze removal → filmic → tone curves → levels → sharpen.

_MG_4335.CR2 (14.8 MB)

_MG_4335_02.CR2.xmp (57.7 KB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike )

8 Likes

Pretty girl. My initial thoughts were “Is her foot on ice that’s in the white bag?”

_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (8.2 KB)
_MG_4335_01.CR2.xmp (9.2 KB)

4 Likes

Pretty girl.

_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (7.7 KB)

3 Likes

I appreciate the hair hanging from her head, the sandal hanging from her foot and the branches hanging from the tree.

1 Like

_MG_4335.CR2.xmp (6.6 KB)
Nice shot! Here is my attempt using Darktable.

1 Like

@gadolf, I hope that you have sent her a copy of this!

_MG_4335.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

2 Likes

:smile: it could well have been the case, but I doubt it or else we should certainly see some water falling from the wall, given the high temperature of that day :sweat:

I insisted twice on that, but she gently refused so. I think she didn’t like the pictures when I showed her :blush:

Nice challenge! I would never dare asking a stranger to take the pose. Bravo!

Here’s my take. I used a ‘local lab’ build to try and create a pseudo shallow DoF / lens blur, and used a custom HaldCLUT for the color and lights toning.
_MG_4335

1 Like

I don’t see it.

But I like the rest of what you did. :slight_smile:

What don’t you see? the blur effect?

It isn’t very effective. But I think you’ve stated the issue in the other thread.

agreed!

Interesting idea! I also gave it a try:

For comparison, here’s the “unblurred” version…

Not very credible, but it was fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tried to blur all the foliage behind the girl, following her contours, but it’s not that easy!
But I think it’s doable.

How about this? Any better?

Unblurred:

Yes! Hos many spots do have on the background?

Sorry, I was unclear… I did not use locallab, I used a parametric mask on green hues (for the background, plus a couple of other masks to try to emulate a progressive defocusing of the foreground)

Did you use your own custom version of RT?

yes, but you can do the same in gimp

Do you plan to commit this nice stuff to dev at some point? That would be great :wink:

No plans I’m afraid. I just don’t have the time/energy to perform the needed polishing to get this merged. Plus, it would probably be subsumed by locallab, which is being actively worked on.

1 Like