[Play Raw] Underexposed landscape

I took this image on a sunny autumn day during a hiking trip near Kochel (Bavaria, Germany). I am not able to recover the nice colors i saw that day.

DSC00128.ARW.xmp (6.4 KB) DSC00128.ARW (24 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

6 Likes

First of all, that is one LOVELY landscape! I will look into editing it once I get home, however here are some first impressions:

• doeasn’t look like there are many colours except for bottom right - what is it you remember seeing that was very colourful?
  • overall composition is pretty much perfect!

The leaves had different shades of red, yellow and brown. The lake and the sky had a nice blue color. And the mountains in the background were more clear and distinguishable.

DSC00128.ARW.xmp (7.6 KB)

2 Likes

Agree with @stefan.chirila, a lovely landscape.

Yes, you did have room for a bit more exposure, maybe a stop or so. But it doesn’t hurt the image as far as I can see; there are no large textures in the low regions that would exhibit noise.

Here’s my take, in rawproc:

I think the haze works for you; there are at least five distinguishable distances in the mountain range, and really all the tone is there. Here’s the the “rawproc XMP”, the toolchain commentary. Firstoff, I pulled the tools out of my normal raw processing group, made them individual so I could work on whitebalance:

• colorspace:camera,assign - you camera’s RT camconst.json primaries
  • subtract:camera - Your camera requires subtraction of 512 from each raw pixel…
  • whitebalance:camera - I started with the camera-supplied multipliers and tried to make-nice by manually messing with them, but abandoned that for some per-channel curves, below…
  • demosaic:amaze - An amazing image deserves amazing demosaic, don’tcha think?
  • blackwhitepoint:rgb,data - Normalizing the image data for the 0.0 - 1.0 floating point space. Of note was that I didn’t need to use the minwhite option which scales saturated channels out of the image; you didn’t have any clipping.
  • curve:blue,0.0,0.0,121.0,100.0,255.0,255.0 - Here’s where I went non-linear in the color manipulation. On the blue channel, just a pull-down in the middle, which let the ends gradually slope to the linear limits.
  • curve:red,0.0,0.0,22.0,30.0,92.0,83.1,191.0,203.5,255.0,255.0 - Okay, I went all Monet here, put in a lift down at the bottom, drug it below linear at the midpoint, then pulled it up at the top to keep the clouds relatively neutral vice the blue. At this point, I’d abandoned colorimetric accuracy, as I was seeing pastels and like them…
  • curve:rgb,0.0,0.0,7.0,6.0,15.0,20.8,20.0,37.5,80.0,151.9,255.0,255.0 - After I finished it, this curve looked a lot like the filmic curve I abandoned, nice toe at the bottom, fairly big lift in the midsection.
  • saturation:1.30 - Just a bit of color saturation, seemed to do-up the pastels nicely…
  • group: - The regular PlayRaw resize.
    • resize:1080;
    • sharpen:1;

These are not the colors you are looking for… but I fell in love with them… :slight_smile:

Edit: copy-paste error in the curves…

7 Likes

Amazing image! Here’s my take on it…

DSC00128.ARW.xmp (7.5 KB)

2 Likes

So lovely!
I would post-process it like this. Though, I am not sure how much it looks like what you saw in real. Graduated density filters (either physical or in post processing) help a lot when the sky is so bright that makes foreground underexposed.

darktable (2.7-git): DSC00128.ARW.xmp (10.9 KB)

8 Likes

Done in RT, though it could maybe use some local processing in Gimp…??

P1000015.RW2.pp3 (11.5 KB)

6 Likes

Could spend some more hours on that photograph, nice shot.

DSC00128.ARW.xmp (25.0 KB, darktable 2.6.2)

4 Likes

RT 5.7

DSC00128.jpg.out.pp3 (13,0 KB)

4 Likes

Here’s my attempt in Filmulator:

Drama and Overdrive were raised to the max, with Film Area reduced in order to make haloing less visible.

Then the White Clipping Point was brought way down to brighten up the image, and the Shadow Brightness decreased a tad and Highlight Brightness maxed out in order to add contrast.

3 Likes

DSC00128.ARW.xmp (12.6 KB) DSC00128_01.ARW.xmp (13.1 KB)

5 Likes

@sls141 I like the first one. Has a glossy appearance to it.

darktable 2.6.3
DSC00128.ARW.xmp (18,8 Ko)

1 Like

DSC00128.ARW.xmp (9.3 KB)

DT 2.6.3
DSC00128.ARW.xmp (1.8 KB)

Great image! Here’s a take on it using Filmic RGB and the Tone equalizer (lifted the “foreground” tones quite a bit). Also some saturation and local contrast added.
DSC00128.ARW.xmp (14.9 KB)

7 Likes

@flannelhead Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Beautiful landscape!
My try using RT 5.7

DSC00128_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

1 Like

DSC00128.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

Nice photo.
Within RT I’ve menaged to reach the right exposition and, according to your wish - “The leaves had different shades of red, yellow and brown. The lake and the sky had a nice blue color. And the mountains in the background were more clear and distinguishable.” In any case, somehow :slight_smile:

2 Likes