[PlayRaw] 5: Friendly, Old Mastiff

Thanks @Thomas_Do for reviving this nice shot. Here is my attempt. Mastiff’s right side was darker than the other side. I used the gradient filter with negative values so that the face is all evenly lit.
MLC-_DSC4825.jpg.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

1 Like

I know it’s an old thread, but it was a pleasure working with this nice and very well shot picture.
Here is my version:
201901_22_old_mastiff
Moreover, I recorded the editing process

Darktable sidecar file: MLC-_DSC4825.NEF.xmp (24.5 KB)

4 Likes

I watched your video last night and was blown away at your attention to detail and your overall workflow. Wish there was sound to hear your thoughts as you worked. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

@MLC But she looks s-o-o depressed!!!
Do you have a shot where she looks happier?

1 Like

Wish there was sound to hear your thoughts as you worked.

Thanks for the compliments. I thought about adding explanations, but it is too much for me doing editing and give explanations at the same time. I’m not that experienced like Harry Durgin for example.

Currently, I am looking for a convenient way to add notes with a video editor, subtitles for example, but my video editing skills are very low…

Speaking of Harry Durgin, I watched this one again (and again!) – mind-boggling! Would love to see him editing again with Darktable 2.6.
https://youtu.be/MxPge-gjCeo

1 Like

I learned a lot from his videos. Unfortunately his website is down and the RAW files and other downloads aren’t accessible anymore.

Nope. That’s how she always looked. It was her tried and true, “give me some cream cheese” look.

1 Like

MLC-_DSC4825.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)
MLC-_DSC4825_01.NEF.xmp (7.3 KB)

1 Like

Great B&W! Love the detail in the eyes.

image develop only with darktable!:grin:

MLC-_DSC4825|665x1000 MLC-_DSC4825.NEF.xmp (7.8 KB)

1 Like

@kakashy it’d be good if you added your edited image to the post!

it’s OK

MLC-_DSC4825.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)

1 Like

A chiaroscuro style done with the new filmic rgb and tone equalizer, plus dodging and burning via exposure module and masks.

_DSC4825.NEF.xmp (43.5 KB)
“No bones, Cap’n?” :frowning_face:

2 Likes

RawTherapee 5.8

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! My attempt with DT3. Any comments about my edit are most welcome.

MLC-_DSC4825.NEF.xmp (13.7 KB)

1 Like