[PlayRaw] 6: Marzipan

I go away for a few months and no one has posted any fun files for me to edit? I haven’t been shooting at all, so I suppose I can’t talk. I did, however, take another little stroll through my archives and found something to have fun with:

Yes, it is yet another dog portrait. And yes, it is also shot tight with a very shallow depth of field. What can I say? I like what I like. Her name was Marzipan and she had the funniest underbite ever.

Download NEF file here (Google Drive, 10MB)
https://pixls.us/files/playraw/MLC-DSC_0372.NEF
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

I edited this example with Darktable and GIMP 2.9 as per my usual M.O…
I love seeing what others come up with, so please have at it!

I’ve been thinking about doing a playraw myself, but I’ve been lacking time, and I want to shoot a challenging shot for everyone to play with.

This looks like fun, I’ll have a go of it soon!

1 Like

Yeah, I think I’ve totally given up on challenging myself.:yum:
I really need to get a new camera, as the old D90 is just not cutting it anymore. But we bought a house instead, soooo…

Hm, her smile needs a bit of Liquify, liquify? | darktable :wink:

1 Like

I am clumsy with photos, but I really like the animal. Gently made with LightZone, editing data should be included, if the forum engine didn’t eat them away.

Edit: It did eat them.

3 Likes

@Jacal I like the gentle take. Thanks for reminding me to install LightZone on my new rig!

Here is my take. RawTherapee with a warm polaroid film emulation and some wavelet stuff. I exported two tiffs, one with the settings on and one with those settings off. The background (settings off) was blended with Marzipan (settings on) in GIMP. I tried to desaturate his collar a bit. Added a vignette and used G’MIC’s Octave sharpening.

Excuse the sloppy masking, please. And I should edit out the posterization on his chest.

1 Like

Here is RT1234 +GIMP2.8 post-processed result. I used wavelet edge sharpness tool, and residual image modification. Then, in CIE color tab incresed chroma and contrast and cropped to test. Then in GIMP using layer mask darkened the brightness of Marzipan’s white fur.

1 Like

Pure Photoflow edit, some crazy ideas (and layer fusioning) along the way, pretty happy about the Provia (screen) - Kchrome (overlay) mix though, PF needs grain!!! Attached screegrab…
Thanks @MLC for uploading the candy (assumed marzipan is the sweet little cake) and all for contributing. Now off to melt some more retina looking at the sun =)

3 Likes

Maybe some tools found to deal with it but I’ll probably delete this one. Oh dear or something like that but much ruder.

In case anyone is mad enough to want the rt file. Most done in the GIMP.

DogDSC_0372.nef.pp3 (5.8 KB)

It just alters contrast via a curve and not much else.

John

My try. Nothing special except in GIMP; selected dog with foreground extraction tool, sharpened him and darkened background. By the way, I highly recommend foreground extraction tool in GIMP with Levin-Matting machine!

5 Likes

I will look at the foreground tool for sure… I spent way too long on the mask for the dog.

1 Like

A quick edit in PhotoFlow, with a low-key mood… mostly curves, with some GMIC texture sharpening for finishing:

I cannot upload the .pfi yet, as I have used an experimental photoflow version for this edit…

3 Likes

Hey thanks for the PlayRAW challenge!
Conversion in rawtherapee.
Gimp’s Lens Distortion Filter, a slight rotation, GMIC’s RL Deconvo sharpening masked onto the eyes, saturation brushed on eyes. Doggie tears healed out.

4 Likes

“How many times are you going to pretend to throw that ball?”

1 Like

I had a brief 2nd go. As G’Mic’s refocus nearly coped I tried again but presharpened to give it a bit of help which seemed to work on the teeth. Not a good idea. The refocus started producing white spots on the dog’s nose.

John

With darktable.

4 Likes

Here is my edit with darktable.
Funny dog expression! Aggressive teeth and charming eyes.

DSC_0372.NEF.xmp (9.4 KB)

2 Likes

My edit it darktable

2 Likes

Another go to try and improve refocus. Mix of RT and the GIMP. Gimp’s refocus will bring back detail but the dog’s nose looks a bit odd due to dimples which look a bit over the top so I backed off and hand blurred them a bit

One of the GIMP’s B&W conversion utilities. My favourite but the shot needed altering really to get best results. Not really suitable either.

The reason I like it is that it produces results more like the real thing.

John

2 Likes