[PlayRaw] Flowers Flowers Flowers!

My mother isn’t exactly the elegant or tactful type but she does excel when it comes to her hobbies. Here are 3 photographs of her flowers. Sorry, I haven’t found the time to do my take on them; in the meantime, play to your heart’s content :sun_with_face:!

The photos are licensed under Creative Commons Licence by @afre.

Darktable developement
_MG_0434.CR2.xmp (5.1 KB)

Yellow flower
_MG_0424.CR2.xmp (4.7 KB)

I tried my luck with the second one (Darktable only).

_MG_0424.CR2.xmp (5.8 KB)

1 Like

@ afre: You should also give it a try :wink:.

Soon® due to recent physical pain and uncertainty on how to interpret the photos.

@lephotographelibre_B @Thomas_Do Thanks for your interest and participation. Your results look okay on my mobile device but a bit too intense on my monitor :stuck_out_tongue:. Are the photos too rough :blush: to post-process?

To be honest a good post-processing of that one would involve removing the background. Between the brick wall and the white thing it is very distracting.

As Ofnuts wrote, the other photos would (also in my opinion) need more than just “development”. For a PlayRaw this would be to time-consuming for me. However, ten to fifteen minutes to improve my skills on photo #2 were oaky :grinning:.

@Ofnuts @Thomas_Do

The processing involved might be more work than fun for some. I hope that it is still in the scope of a play-raw and that people would give it a try. Maybe this is my way of getting people to visit the wonderful tutorials on the main site and forum :rofl:.

yes it’s really hard to interpret these photos but it’s funny to give it a try :slight_smile:
flowers1a.pp3 (10.9 KB)

flowers1b.pp3 (10.9 KB)

1 Like

Just using RT might not yield the best result in this case. Used RT and GIMP.
_MG_0419.tif.out.pp3 (11.3 KB)

4 Likes

For this picture, the choice of f1.8 for an aperture has caused most of the flower to be soft. I therefore tried to give a dreamy look to the photo. Of course, I then have to remove the imperfection of the flower using GIMP (no one dreams of less than a perfect flower :grinning:)
_MG_0424.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

4 Likes

For this photo, I found the background distracting, so went for a very tight crop.
_MG_0434.jpg.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

2 Likes

3 Likes

wanted too add a sunny orange glow to it , apart from that i just tried to draw out the details of the flower on reduce some distracting light :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Hello, first time posting here

I don’t like heavy post-process (yet), so, here I am. The first image… not for now, I’m not sure how to do it.

Second image: I tried to force more blue (almost purple) for the background to have the color contrast with the flower and removed the right background, too distracting.

_MG_0424.CR2.xmp (7.0 KB) Darktable only

Third image: I like the brick wall and the green leaves, good color contrast too. As @Ofnuts said, the white background in middle is very distracting, so tried to darken it a bit.

_MG_0434.CR2.xmp (13.4 KB) Darktable only

2 Likes

@age I am glad that you had fun. I enjoy seeing what people come up with regardless of their talent or interpretation. I see that you opted for the soft natural look. Very relaxing :slight_smile:.

@shreedhar I like the painterly look of the bokeh balls behind the orchid. Since this photo was taken earlier, I had the time to process it once and took a similar approach then. As for the 2nd photo, I did take another shot with f2.8 but my unsteady hands ruined it.

@lefthandedcow Same relaxing vibe as @age’s but bolder and focused. The sunny glow is nice but perhaps a little too much in the foreground. I like the simplicity of the 1st one.

@lefthandedcow @antonio Welcome to the forum! I joined not long ago but have been enjoying my stay. Actually, it has been my first time being involved in an online community.

So that is what some of you were doing with that background. I wouldn’t have thought of that. That is why I enjoy play-raws! Also, I am glad you kept some of the brick and leaves. It looked good when I composed the shot…

1 Like

My second version is a try to match the jpeg with the saturation and value blending curve in rawtherapee and a bit of vibrance

_MG_0419.CR2.pp3 (10.8 KB)

_MG_0419b.CR2.pp3 (11.0 KB)

_MG_0434.CR2.pp3 (10.9 KB)

_MG_0424.CR2.pp3 (10.9 KB)

1 Like

My take on the second one.
_MG_0424.CR2.xmp (9.4 KB)

You mean the incredibly small embedded thumbnail? If so, that would be a representation of the Neutral picture profile of the camera.

@silicoid Welcome to the forum! It might be a good idea to keep more of the detail. At least compared to the other attempts, your take is much flatter. But hey, it might just be your interpretation :slight_smile:. Thanks for sharing!