[PlayRaw] Into the Fog

PC210169-dt-film

so many ways to play with this one.
I went simple in darktable, filmc and then local contrast
in gimp did denoise then ran it through gmic simulate film, choosing fuji astia
then went for 3:2 crop thinking 35mm film

3 Likes

That looks very good. Felt like it is from a documentary for a second.

2 Likes

Still in colour. RT and sizing and levels in the GIMP to bring out background more and alter darkness distribution

Might try B&W conversion later.

John

5 Likes

Welcome back @Ajohn. Thanks for sharing your take. This raw image keeps on giving. :slight_smile:

PS Would you mind sharing the pp3 or is it embedded in the jpg (I haven’t checked)?

Thought I had uploaded it but I;m finding the site a bit odd on firefox. Seems to be ok but no cursor when I type. :wink: At times just got one.

PC210169.ORF.pp3 (11.4 KB)
There is a spot white balance on the surf. I like the slight sky colour.

John

PC210169.ORF.xmp (19.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thought I’d try a B&W. To be different I used Delalab as it uses layers and the settings for some of the layers can be adjusted on the fly.

Nice software for something like this when contrast etc may need adjusting after the conversion. The sharpening layer is a bit uncontrollable, left slight haloes but looks like it may be useful for other work.

Last thing done was a weak soft light layer in the GIMP with a slight blur on the layer.

John

2 Likes

Actually like the chunkiness of the sharpening.

My experiment : B&W conversion with Darktable (channel mixer/ Light& Shadows / Fog remover)

PC210169_01.ORF.xmp (5.6 KB)

4 Likes

PC210169.ORF.xmp (10,6 Ko) darktable 2.6.2 version 2

2 Likes

Cropped it, composed it using the negative space to the right and edited in Black and white (with color toning). Would have added some fog if I knew how to use GIMP/Affinity Photo.

1 Like

I tried my hand at this RAW also.

PC210169.ORF.xmp (13.9 KB)

1 Like

'til we found a sea of green (inspired by s7habo but failing)
Using only RT

PC210169_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (24.8 KB)

3 Likes

This was done in dt using only the workflow recommended by Aurélien Pierre, e.g., no Curves. This takes some getting used to. Also a good time to ask, as I have not figured it out: how do you get the reduced file sizes for posting here?

PC210169.ORF 200212 1452 WNM .xmp (30.7 KB)

You can set the size in pixels in the export module.

@paperdigits:
Would you explain further?

Global options > max size. Enter pixel values.

Max size limits how big an image can get. Basically if you do 1920x1920, you would have the correct resolution to submit a PlayRaw entry.

Sometimes it’s fun to redo an image I worked more than a year ago. This time (with new filmic workflow) I needed just some minutes compared to the hour I spent with several masks.

Used LUT3D module, therefore no sense to upload the XMP.

2 Likes

@paperdigits
@afre

Thanks.
Bill