Portable Custom WIndows Build of Darktable with Sigmoid, Filmic v6 and new Laplacian HLR

Its the same dealā€¦the batch is for two things ā€¦one to run DT from that folder once you unzip it and two to point it to use a subfolder of that folder for creating its config filesā€¦Just create a folder for some test images and copy them there and you should be good to evaluate the featuresā€¦

EDIT I see now I may have not uploaded it as a portable zipā€¦my error I will correct thatā€¦

Interestingā€¦I am not seeing that issueā€¦I realized that the generic one I posted was an exe file ie the installer package and not the portable modification. I have corrected that. If you were using my original build that was made with any CPU or other optimizations meant for my Alderlake CPUā€¦so maybe try the newly posted generic one?? I have tried both on my machine and see no interaction with sharpen and diffuse and sharpen as you are observingā€¦ There are sure to be some errors in this version as it combines code from several sources but it seems quite functional on may end and was really intended to allow people to compare the new filmic v6 with sigmoid and to try the new HR Aurelien is working oneā€¦with the side benefit that is also has the spot exposure mapping and color matching features that have come along post releaseā€¦so that was the goal and I think it will be fine for that but I canā€™t say that the combination all together will not have some bugs that you donā€™t see in release or current master branchā€¦

Installed the above. Still same problem. Something unique with my system, I guess. Otherwise, I am really pleased with it, and using sharpen is not so bad.

Thanks for all your work.

Ah makes sense now. Thanks!

That is the weirdest side effect???Itā€™s a pure hack but for that test version you could auto apply a preset with 0 opacity??

Sorry I have to stop having these ideas at 2 am :slight_smile:

Fixed it!
But now local contrast wonā€™t work unless sharpen in on. :crazy_face:

So auto applying sharpening at o percent fixed something and broke something??

@Underexposed Strange sightings: are they only appearing in kind @priortā€™s builds? Hope someone could repeat the mess and write a bug report.

Thanks for this build.
Just few observations.
Highlights in filmic v5 and v6 behave quite differently
V5 (Using power norm chroma preservation)

v6

The new laplacian highlight recovery works very nicely in this case. Thanks @anon41087856 for all your hard work, I think this really fixes a long standing achilles heel in darktable.

Reconstruct in LCH

Reconstruct in colour

Guided laplacian

I have had a play with sigmoid, looks different, difficult to compare because it generates a more contrasty, saturated image, so have to change the other settings to obtain something equivalent.

1 Like

RGB ratio should give you a more filmic look with sigmoidā€¦v5 vs v6 has different approach to saturation if you check the look tab. So often V6 is going to look more saturated unless you use the Luma slider to desaturated and then it would look more like v5 ā€¦

Itā€™s a cobbled version so not sure itā€™s a good base for bug checkingā€¦I donā€™t see those issues so it could be hardware specific???

@priort
I uninstalled the first installation and reinstalled. That fixed diffuse or sharpen, but then I tried local contrast, and it turned the preview black. I see now that if I switch local contrast from local laplacian filter to bilateral grid, it works okay.

@afre
I am also running darktable-3.9.0+844, and there have been no problems.

Edit: I see now that if I open an edit I did in darktable-3.9.0+844 that uses both local contrast and diffuse or sharpen without sharpen activated, it displays correctly. My operating theory is going to be itā€™s something about my computer interacting with Toddā€™s build that is causing the problem. Itā€™s not something I canā€™t live with, and whatā€™s important are the new things that are available in Toddā€™s build.

See

1 Like

Any chance you have cross pollinated xmp filesā€¦ opened something from your newer build in the one I posted?? Just wondering if that could be the source of the strange behaviour.as any other version of DT is not aware of the sigmoid module so not sure how it get handled if you go back and forthā€¦it used to refuse to load but I am not sure nowā€¦

I created a duplicate of the version 0, which was created by my 3.9 build. So, if there was anything about that method Iā€™d have to check by putting the original image in another folder and start from scratch. Iā€™ll do that and get back.

@priort
Local contrast still causes a blackout. Also, if I lower any of the sliders in sharpen, the preview blacks out. But diffuse or sharpen still works fine. ???

That is what I would doā€¦keep them separate and donā€™t use versions from a different build

I see it only happens if I use sigmoid. Filmic seems to work okay with everything.

@priort
If I switch sigmoid to rgb ratio, everything works.