problem reading canon 80D raw files in Rawtherapee 5.8

new user to Rawtherapee. Running v5.8 on MAC OS Ventura 13.0.1. When opening an 80D cs2 file the default image looks very different from the imbedded jpeg. See attached screenshot:

I have read the manual. not sure why the default settings showing the image the way it is.

can someone please help?
Arn

That doesn’t look like an auto-match tone curve in default settings. Please show the image opened with a “neutral” profile and un-edited.

While the official macOS release of RawTherapee 5.9 is still being prepared, I don’t think anyone should still bother to answer questions regarding 5.8, sorry.

That being said, the tone curve is indeed out of whack.

2 Likes

No problem, Roel. Point well taken.

Mike and Roel,
Thanks for the quick response. Per the online manual, I tried to open with both default and neutral settings with very similar results. I was wondering if it might be a Mac OS version compatibility. Thanks again. I will wait for the 5.9 Mac release to come out.
Arn

Does it mean 5.8 “goes crap” once 5.9 is released?
Honestly, it may be worth to analyze the problem first, then decide whether the issue is fixable in 5.8 or not.

Welcome to Pixls (and RawTherapee) @Arn!

I’m surprised that the default and neutral profiles look similar given that the tone curve in the screenshot is so extreme (neutral does not apply a tone curve). How exactly does the photo look with neutral? In any case, the issue might be fixed in 5.9. Until the MacOS version arrives, you can try the release candidate at RawTherapee 5.9-rc1 ready for testing

@Ulrich_Windl 5.9 IS a fixed 5.8. Think of it as the 9th update to RawTherapee 5.

Hi Lawrence,
forgive the looks “very similar” comment, they are different but the general result is similar. See below. the colormaps do not seem to be correct. I can open the image in GIMP 2.1 and DARKTABLE with no problem - they look like the JPEG and then can be edited fine. I will try your release candidate. I am using a 2021 MacBook Pro 16" with M1 Pro processor and 32 GB ram, Ventura 13.0.1.
Thanks Arn

Hi Lawrence,
your 5.9-rc1 link fixed problem. Look forward to the eventual 5.9 official release for MAC and continued use of Rawtherapee.

Thanks very much.
Arn

If we were still in a “dev builds are your only other option” situation this would carry more weight - although even then, “is this fixed in the dev build” is very important because it hints there may be an existing fix to be backported to the current release to form a point release.

But the next full release is out at this point, effort put into 5.8 is wasted time unless you have a corporate sugar daddy funding LTS ultrastable long-term releases like some software does.

I would think 5.9 is the fixed 5.8.

1 Like