Question about Appimage version of Digikam

Hi,

I got this same problem:

But I do not want to compile software, as I think appimages are a good way.

I found out, that this does not effect for example XFCE or Gnome, only Cinnamon. Do you have some idea how to fix this open-with-list-issue?

Thanks and kind regards

Pragomer

I don’t think this can be fixed at the moment. Digikam relies on kio for this operation and kio cannot be bundled in the appimage. I would suggest to file a wish on bugzilla. By the way, I had a fully functional ‘open with’ menu on openSUSE TW KDE and no ‘open with’ menu on kubuntu with the same appimage.

1 Like

Hi Andrius,

thanks for your reply. I was pretty sure that this could not be fixed, and its not a huge deal. But it would have been a nice thing.

Kind regards
Pragomer

As a workaround you could either use a distribution that has the most recent version of digikam in their repos or compile it yourself (if you are on Debian based distro)

I just discovered, that the “open with” list problem works fine with stock ubuntu 18.04 (so the gnome desktop), what would be ok.

But I can not without the feature “open in filemanger” (which does not work either in the appimage version). So I think you are right, using the appimage version is (what a pity) not the right thing for me.

I know Manjaro/Arch have the latest version, but we are a more deb-family here :slight_smile:

So I will check, if there is a kind of “ppa” for ubuntu & Co.

KDE Neon has the latest stable digikam in their repos.
I think (k)ubuntu 18.10 and Debian testing (or unstable) have digikam 5.9.0 too.

Ok, then I think I am going to give Neon a try. Althought I like Gnome Desktop very much, Digikam is my most central piece of software, so the desktop environment could perhaps be secondary…

Thanks for the info