Rapid Photo Downloader does in fact support the CR3 format...

In case anyone is wondering, Rapid Photo Downloader has supported the CR3 format since September last year.

This reminder is prompted by an email I received this evening:

There has been a guy in the darktable irc pushing hard for someone to implement CR3 support… Maybe it’s the same dude :wink:

A mystery man! :grin:

Hi, I know that RPD v0.9.9 is supposed to be able to read Canon CR3 files, but I can’t get it to do so. I’ve downloaded Exiftool V12.01 and followed the instructions found on the Exiftool site, to no avail, where does RPD expect to find Exiftool please?
I’m running Linux Mint 19 btw.

Thanks

The version of Rapid Photo Downloader you are running is too old. Install a newer version. Make sure the version of ExifTool you have manually installed appears on the path before the system ExifTool. If you don’t know what that means someone on the Mint forums can help you.

That did the trick, thanks.
I hadn’t run the RPD install script from the terminal, so it didn’t ask for my admin password, doh!

I’m glad to hear it worked out.

I don’t understand what this means. Can you elaborate?

I had executed the install.py by double clicking (from Cinnamon) and selected ‘run’ rather than ‘run in terminal’, so nothing was displayed during the installation, so I assumed that the update had succeeded. When I re-ran the install.py in the terminal, I noticed that it needed the admin password in order to continue, so the script ran to completion and I now have an up to date Rapid Photo Downloader installed.

It is sad that Darktable can no longer support Canon cameras. I have gone with DxO in Windows - it’s good but it aint Darktable. Plus I now have to run a windows machine too.

There are many threads on this forum that are more up to date than this one.

That’s your prerogative, best of luck.

Thanks - although “prerogative” suggests choice.
Both my wife and I have canon cameras less than 3 years old now. I tried the wine->dng route but camera and lens profiles don’t seem to travel well - plus it’s a schlep.

You always have choice. Nobody made you buy the canon. Nobody is making you run windows or dxo. Those were all your choice.

Why so salty? @Spike I don’t understand why you make a comment about darktable on a very old thread that is not about darktable. You found this thread, but not this one or this one?

Thank you!