RAW way darker than JPEG

Hi there !
I’m a newbie in photography and I got an issue with Rawtherapee : My raw files are darker than JPEG files and it makes my photos ugly (

). As you can see on my screenshot, when I open the CR2 file, my photo becomes dark.
Someone can help me ? :cry:
Thank you very much

PS : Sorry if my english is bad, I’m french but i did my best :stuck_out_tongue:

Now is the time to take it into your own hands and use edit your photos to make them better than the JPEGs ever could be.

2 Likes

That is normal. Cameras usually underexpose the photos. Reason: with post-processing, it is easier to brighten dark colors than darken light colors.
What kind of camera do you have? I found that my Olympus does a bit more underexposure than my Canon.

You might have a look at color / color management / input profile / DCP - here activate the tone curve

@zonangelo Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay. This question has been answered many times in this forum. Here is an example from myself:

Let us know if you have any more questions. :slight_smile:

Hey there !
Thank you much for your answer !!! After reading your posts, I worked for the first time on a raw and… wow JPEG is so ugly :yum:
Thank you again

2 Likes
  1. Update your RawTherapee to 5.4.
  2. Read the documentation. Getting Started - RawPedia