RawTherapee 5.9-rc1 ready for testing

It seems like these two dropdowns do not work in windows. I remember that you @Lawrence37 had solved a similar issue, but I can’t find it in the issue tracker

Oh, I have to row back. :man_facepalming:

I deleted RawTherapee from AppData\Local and it works with RC1…

Apparently.

Thanks for the tips. I haven’t edited the options file. I tested on another PC but that was the same. Both PCs had version 5.8 installed when I installed 5.9-rc1 so on the first PC I uninstalled both versions then reinstalled the release candidate but still the lens profiles are not available.

EDIT: I shall try this, " I deleted RawTherapee from AppData\Local and it works with RC1…"

Each user has their own options file located in their respective app data folder. The files are separate from the installation, so they remain after uninstalling the previous version. What I suspect is that the RC1 builds use a different location for the lensfun database compared to 5.8 and the old options file tells RawTherapee to look for the database in the old location.

I will figure out what the old location is and update the 5.9 build if @Morgan_Hardwood or @Thanatomanic agrees it is a good idea. @ChasingShadows and @dave180, if you haven’t deleted the app data folder yet, you could help test the new version. If you want to use profiled lens corrections in the meantime, you can rename the options file in the RawTherapee app data folder to something like options_backup. RawTherapee will generate a fresh file and use that, then you can restore the old file before testing.

I checked version 5.8 and it is using the same location, so that’s not the problem. @ChasingShadows and @dave180, if you still have the original options file (usually in C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\RawTherapee), could you find the line beginning with DBDirectory (most likely at the end of the file) and share the entire line? It should look something like this: DBDirectory=./share/lensfun
Have either of you or @apostel338 been using an older dev version? There was a correction to the Lensfun location in February. Any Windows dev builds downloaded from GitHub before that could have generated an options file with the wrong Lensfun location.

This is my options file that was in AppData\Local\RawTherapee

grafik
options.txt (8.7 KB)

And the newly created one

grafik

I don’t exactly know. My current Windows installation is dated May 2022. If the dev builds were generated regularly, I most likely didn’t. Also the current dev build use their own AppData folder. Was that different in the past?

grafik

Ok, I did some testing.

1. I cleaned everything and installed 5.8 stable: lens correction works.
  2. I uninstalled 5.8 but left the AppData folder untouched. I installed RC1, started it: lens correction doesn’t work.
  3. I delete options file: it works again.

@Lawrence37 I don’t really have time to look into it myself as well, but there’s this relatively recent issue that led to a change for the automated build lensfun path in nightly-github-actions not consistent with earlier automated builds (lensfun not loaded due to different options file) · Issue #6426 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

I thought the Lensfun business was just me and something I was doing wrong - I simply can’t get the dev version to link to the Lensfun data - I’ve set up a copy in the .config folder and put the link in options - everything I could think of doing…

Small question: Couldn’t there be a place in the preferences dialogue where one could enter the link to Lensfun? If RT had found it automatically, it would be a means of verifying it?

This is definitely a good idea - I have never liked the way lensfun was integrated in RT. However, this is not going to happen for 5.9… unless we need it as a fix.

1 Like

Agreed about adding a user-editable path to Preferences, this has been causing issues for far too long.

4 Likes

Mine looked the same. I deleted the ./share/lensfun line from the 5.9rc1 options file but that didn’t work so I added it again. I then added ./share/lensfun to the 5.8 options file and lens correction started to work. 5.8 still works with the line added.

Certainly.

Thanks for sharing your options file @apostel338! I don’t know why 5.8 does not have the database directory set or why it is still able to pick up the list of lenses, but I have a potential fix for 5.9. How it works is RawTherapee will first look for Lensfun in the configured location. If it fails and there is a bundled database, it will fall back to the bundled one.

3 Likes

I figured out what the problem with the Lensfun database is: If I remove the lensfun path from the options file and run RT the option file will contain the following:

Well, I’m running a version of the program, which I have built on my own. If you follow the instructions from RawPedia

followed by

then you finally end up with the fact that the database will not be found if you put “DBDirectory=./share/lensfun” into the options file …

Well, if something can go wrong, it will…

If I add the absolute path to my installation to the options file, it works …

1 Like

At the moment 5.9-rc1 is using AppData\Local\RawTherapee5-dev but when 5.8 has been installed it reads the options file from AppData\Local\RawTherapee instead which “breaks” lens corrections. If 5.8 has never been installed 5.9-rc1 reads it’s own options file and lens corrections work. When 5.9 becomes final will it use AppData\Local\RawTherapee and overwrite the options file of any older installations in there? because if it does I am guessing the problem some of us Windows users are having with lens corrections in 5.9-rc1 should be resolved because the options file with a blank Lensfun entry will be overwritten ???

Options carry over with upgrades and RC1 only uses RawTherapee\, so the issue still applies.

1 Like

Just wanted to take the time to say THANK YOU and congratulations! to all who have and are still working hard to make and maintain RawTherapee the dream come true that it is. I hope you have somewhat of an idea of the great deal of service you are doing our global community! :hugs:

13 Likes

Yes, better than any dream: RT is and remains reality. I have meanwhile diligently practiced with ART and dt to be independent, in case…

But the case that RT falls has not occurred. Wonderful! Because for all the trouble I take with the other Raw developers, the results I get with RT are still the best.

A very big thank you to the creators. Long live RawTherapee!!!

3 Likes

RT 5.9-rc1 crashes often for me. I am using a 2020 Intel MacBook, macOS 12.6.1. I looked at the crash reports (I have 9 so far) and they vary, both in the crashing thread and the main thread. This usually happens while playing with the denoise and sharpen settings on a raw file.
Another bug (probably related) is that sometimes nothing happens when I adjust the denoise sliders.