RawTherapee nightly builds

Congrats! :slight_smile:

Whenever you want to update the program, just run again: ./build-rawtherapee

If that fails for some reason, try: ./build-rawtherapee -b

And only if that one also fails, delete the «code-rawtherapee» folder (you’re right, sorry), and run: ./build-rawtherapee (without the -b option)

I just fixed the nightly AppImage builds.

10 Likes

Much appreciated, thanks Morgan!

not seeing any windows dev builds on the nightly releases, am i doing something wrong or are they glitched?

You can try if one of @gaaned92’s builds works on you computer:
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/
I will wait until the automatic build process works again

It is only a little behind (RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2852 vs RawTherapee_dev_5.8-2853).

The automated Windows build process is still broken, working on it.

2 Likes

Didn’t know about those, one worked, thanks!

How’s it looking?

While waiting for the windows builds, why don’t you try installing a FREE virtual machine like VirtualBox, install Linux Mint 19 FREE, and then install the RT Linux nightly build which is always bang up to date.

FREE stuff - you gotta love it, so use it.

2 Likes

Better yet. Just dual boot. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, @gaaned92 is providing generic builds which should run on every computer. Even on mine :rofl:
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW64NightlyBuilds/

Just curious if there is a way to auto update RT Linux nightly builds within VirtualBox?

Does running in a VirtualBox create a performance hit?

I am more concerned about the colour management part that could be lost in translation; hence my advice to dual boot.

I was just curious what the issues might be in using VirtualBox. The @gaaned92 builds work fine on Windows 10 and still gives me easy access to Photoshop.

Virtualization will always have a performance hit, but this depends a lot of your hardware. Sometimes you also need to activate virtualization in your BIOS/UEFI. You also need to fiddle a bit with setting up write access shared folders. I would not recommend it for a novice. Dual boot is probably easier, but not without its own difficulties.
But other than that, a virtual machine should run RT just like you would in Windows.

There is no real auto update feature for RT, but for Linux there is a rather build script. Combined with a little git pull action, being up to date is quite easy. Apart from the build script, the procedure to be up to date on Windows is actually also not that hard… See Windows - RawPedia (I rewrote a big part of it yesterday).

Hi Mike - I found VBox did its job but was a bit slow, so I opted for the paid method by using Parallels on my machine and it performs at speeds just like my native OS.

The update process is on demand/manual and can be seen in this video I made https://youtu.be/W0sDshTezOc

Parallels isn’t free. If you aren’t looking for FLOSS, you could try VMware Workstation Player.

I have two remarks.

• I tested the linux build script on MSYS2 ages ago and it worked. It should still work but I am not sure as I don’t use it.

• regarding the lensfun DB
    You changed the lensfundbdir to the local Mingw64 updated DB location. But then if you copy this DB in share/lensfun as indicated in “making a bundled build” and distribute it, user will have to set DBDirectory=./share/lensfun at the first run.

Thanks! I’ll try the build script and update the docs to reflect accordingly.
I’ll try to correct the lensfun information too and report back to ask you whether my changes make sense.