Red-colored tree

Here an attempt to edit a complete small-landscape scene. Tried to make that red screen more pop, be the subject inside the small-landscape.

Edited jpeg output:

Raw file with xmp:
IMG_4255.CR3 (38.2 MB)
IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (12.0 KB)

What will you do with it?

ps: what is good resize for the jpeg posting here?

10 Likes

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (14.3 KB)

7 Likes

IMG_4255-1.jpg.out.pp3 (15,1 KB)

5 Likes

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (15.3 KB)

4 Likes

I hope you don’t mind a non-darktable submission, this capture was just too nice to leave alone…

I did two things to bring out the red tree: 1) aggressive HSL color saturation, not the nice color tool in dt, and 2) a crop to remove some of the peripheral distraction. Edit: Oh, I over-sharpened the export a bit…

The textures in this image are wonderful…

3 Likes

How about this? dt 4.4.2

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (8.5 KB)

4 Likes

HD resolution jpeg at 85 quality should be plenty. Those who are more curious can grab the sidecar file and experminet on their own machine.

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (14.0 KB)

Perceptual and Relative renders

Above with CC… Below with WB only…

Pretty close but looked a little different to me

2 Likes

You should state the license.

1 Like

my attempt; i removed yellow cast

IMG-4255.jpg

1 Like

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (13.0 KB)

Had to go for a crop on this one. Interesting that even in the RAW the red tree almost looks painted into the scene. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

A different crop…

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (18.8 KB)

5 Likes

NOW the red pops out :innocent::

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (19.3 KB)

8 Likes

Used HSV Equalizer in RT 5.9dev

IMG_4255_RT-2.jpg.out.pp3 (15.5 KB)

1 Like

Using DT 4.5.0

I lowered the intensity of the greens and raised the intensity of the red. I added fog. I also removed some sharpening
I hope you like it

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (11.3 KB)

10 Likes

Quick play in GIMP. Increase in colour separation using Channel Mixer, slight crop.

Thank you all for those inputs, I like to see different approaches to a problem/idea.

Do you think I should have shot the image with other settings?
I was using aperture 8 and between 250-320 of shutter speed (hand held).
With that I always wonder if a canon L lens will perform better than the Tamron I used.

My Fun with GIMP

For better or worse I decided to use the sigmoid primary sliders to attenuate the blues and greens after increasing colourfulness/saturation in the color balance rgb module. I done this to bring out the red alone.

IMG_4255.CR3.xmp (12.0 KB)

5 Likes