Release of G'MIC 2.8

Compiled & working thanks! :grinning:

1 Like

Minor flaw with the command
gmic v 0 sp ?
It terminates immediately on my Mac. Is that by purpose?

gmic version
[gmic]-0./ Start G’MIC interpreter.

gmic: GREYC’s Magic for Image Computing: command-line interface
(https://gmic.eu)
Version 2.8.1 (pre-release #191205)

Copyright (c) 2008-2020, David Tschumperle / GREYC / CNRS. 
    (https://www.greyc.fr)

[gmic]-0./ End G’MIC interpreter.

Looks like a bug in 2.8.1. i’ve made some modifs this morning, and this is a regression.
I’ll fix this ASAP.

Ha sorry, not a bug, it is by purpose indeed :slight_smile:

Now, when a pipeline ends its execution, images are not displayed automatically if the verbosity level is <=0. So, gmic v 0 sp d basically solves this “issue”.

Ok, acceptable. Still it could be mentioned in the verbose command description. Image and text is slightly different for me.
Autom. display of remaining images is suppressed for verbosity<=0

a0.gmz stores a 32-bit linear float image of One of if not my best Photograph. exported by PhotoFlow. Although slow, I normally don’t have any issues processing it. The error happened when I did colormap 0, which I rarely use on large images. Not easy for me to test. It takes an inordinate amount of time to run this command. I tried it on another similar file just now. It hasn’t stopped running and I can’t keep it running, so I aborted it. Hope you find a solution. bad_alloc doesn’t sound good.

It simply means, the program tried to allocate a certain amount of memory and didn’t get it.

I know and don’t like it. I want it to work. :pleading_face:

Typos

retinex: Is offset 1 or 5?

Again, which is it? Is scheme 0 or 3? Verified that it is 0. Should it be? What do the others mean?

Feature request?
Thought of what may be a useful command at least for myself. Even though I am familiar with my own commands, sometimes I want to check the text files containing them. Wouldn’t it be neat if I could somehow see the code printed out in command line? Or even better, view code written by others without going into my browser, etc.? That would save a lot of time. So, something like help but for displaying or browsing code.

I guess the trend of my recent questions is about displaying useful and easy to read info in the command line space. :slight_smile:

I use Kate to look at updatexxxx.gmic file to see others code. The only issue is that I have to press tabs sometimes to make code clearer.

Maybe $$command might help you?

e.g.
gmic e $$gradient_norm
[gmic]-0./ Start G’MIC interpreter.
[gmic]-0./ e[^-1] “Compute gradient norm of image$?.” repeat ! l[>] g sqr s c + sqrt endl done
[gmic]-0./ End G’MIC interpreter.

Still it is only helpful for custom commands, internal commands show no output (like gradient), there is no script!

1 Like

Website issue. When I key in gmic.eu, I sometimes go to http://gmic.eu/ and then Firefox warns me about an insecure connection. Looks like the website sometimes resolves to http instead of https.

Awesome!
Any chance of a short example for https://gmic.eu/reference.shtml#nn_new_fullyconnected ?

@zyx Welcome to the forum! @David_Tschumperle is just getting started. I would also like an example when it is ready for one.

Bug hunting Both have (no arg) options:

gmic + r=1

works but

gmic sp r=1

doesn’t.

Fixed.

New in 2.8.1 :

As you may know, G’MIC defines its own script language and embeds the corresponding interpreter. In upcoming version 2.8.1, a special running mode will be added in G’MIC, allowing gmic to implicitly generate an entry point in a .gmic file, so that including such a file with command input automatically runs the code defined in the entry point.

This mode is activated only when gmic is called with a single argument, which is the .gmic file to consider, i.e.

$ gmic test.gmic

In this case, if test.gmic contains some code defined outside the body of some user-defined commands, then it will be considered as a part of a new implicit command _main_, and executed after loading the file.

Moreover, on Unix systems, you can use a Shebang line in test.gmic and make it directly executable (just as you can do it with python or php). For instance, define your file test.gmic like this:

#!/usr/bin/gmic
# This file can be made executable.

echo "Starting entry point"
if date(3)==1
  echo[] "\nIt's monday !\n"
else
  echo[] "\nToday is not monday !\n"
fi
echo "Exiting entry point\n"

And then, on Unix :

$ chmod a+x test.gmic
$ ./test.gmic
[gmic]-0./_main_/ Starting entry point

Today is not monday !

[gmic]-0./_main_/ Exiting entry point

On other systems (that do not support Shebang), you can get the same behavior with

$ gmic test.gmic

You can see in the first and last echo output on the command line that you are indeed running code in a newly created command named _main_.

If you want to debug such a script file, you have to explicitly call _main_', because if you activate the debug` flag on the command line, you are not in the situation of the special running mode, so:

$ gmic test.gmic _main_ debug

In you are interested, you will find some example of such executable files here :

1 Like
  • 2019/12/19 : Release of 2.8.1.

Well, I asked afre whether it’s possible to blur by image instead. It’s not possible to do $ . blur.. . rm. without errors. I really would like to know what this would look like, and what interesting effect can this give.

EDIT:
For reference - This is how it would look like:

Target Image

Applied Blur by image

2020/01/06 :

[gmic-qt-282] New filter Repair / Unpurple removes purple fringing from photographs. This is a port of GitHub - mjambon/purple-fringe: Removal of purple fringing from digital photos by new G’MIC contributor, Stanislav Paskalev.

3 Likes

Hi David,
trying again to make dt use the compressed lut GMIC feature.
I don’t succeed in making the cmake command find_package() retrieve the G’MIC version.
Should that work ? Is there any known issue about this ? Any advice ?
(currently testing on Debian 10).
Thanks

I’ve really no clues about how cmake work, so I won’t be of great help here, but:slight_smile:
I know at least one way to get the G’MIC version number, with a call to gmic, so it may help finally :

$ gmic v 0 echo_stdout[] \$_version

If you know how to retrieve this result in cmake, then it should be ok ?