[RESOLVED] - Locked in 'Dark Frame' Mode

Rawtherapee ver 4.2.0 came in Linux Mint 18.1 package.

Inadvertently clicked Dark Frame button (to see what happens -oops) now even after clearing cache and clearing processing settings the program remains in Dark Frame Mode. Such that if I open another RAW file for editing it ‘Dark Frames’ it. Any idea on how to turn this feature off? Thanks

Do you mean here?

Did you maybe set it, and then save your processing profile? What happens if you choose a different processing profile that doesn’t have it set?

That’s very old and not supported anymore. Please take a look at RawTherapee - Downloads

And at Linux - RawPedia

RT version came with my Mint package 18.1.
Was hoping uninstalling and reinstalling newer version might fix my problem.
My synaptic package manager doesn’t offer any newer versions.

From “ABOUT” button on RT Preferences screen

Branch: default
Version: 4.2.0
Changeset: c81d9026d25c
Compiler: x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc 5.2.1
Processor: undefined
System: Linux
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V2.24.4
Build type: Release
Build flags: -g -O2 -fPIE -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -std=c++11 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -O3 -DNDEBUG
Link flags: -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -fPIE -pie -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now -Wl,–as-needed
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON Blockquote

Hi. I think I set it from right click image in file browser - drop down menu offers Dark Frame with 3 options

• Select Dark Frame
  • Auto Dark Frame
  • Move to Dark Frames directory
    Believe I clicked on Select Dark Frame. Then RT prompts for directory with directory window - if you cancel out of that window nothing happens but if you try to open Edit window from File Browser it opens Edit window and both Edit Window and File Browser image darken to colorless grey image.

Before going further and after reading other responses, maybe the easiest solution is for me to uninstall this RT version and down load newer version??

Yes, please test with the newest version! There is a PPA available that should work with Mint.

Hello - I’m a Newbie to Linux and RT.
I did like the ease of using the synaptic package manager but on reviewing downloads at RT site suggested by

it would appear that RT 4.2.0 was last stable package released if I’m reading that right?
The Linux RT site offers DIY compiled packages- it talks of dependent packages and GTK2 & GTK3 versions of RT.
I don’t need to be on the leading edge of RT just with a package that works.
Is self compiling straight forward or are there “voodoo” principles involved?

Using the PPA I linked above will allow you to keep getting package updates via synaptic.

Is using PPA safe and straight forward to use?
Does PPA include all the dependent packages too?
I have already uninstalled RT 4.2.0.

Yes, the PPA is maintained by one of our forum members, @Dariusz_Duma.

The PPA just adds another software repo to apt/synaptic, so you continue getting packages as normal.

OK - going to need a little help here.
In SYn Manager 5 RT packages come up. 2 are marked unstable - RT & RT i386.
Do I just use the ones marked 5.3-1dhor~xenial ?

So I’m going with RT for arch:AMD64 not i386.

you probably want the AMD64 if your computer is new within the last decade.

RT 5.3 opened.
Have to investigate if Dark Frame is still an issue.
thanks

Dark Frame issue continues (from ver 4.2 to ver 5.3) with images i opened previously. thankfully not too many.
Surprisingly I was able to edit one not opened previously.
Options that are available from right clicking on file image include clearing cache (partial or full) and under Processing Profile Operations clearing process which returns File image back to original.
Opening in Edit mode image falls back to Dark Frame mode (dull grey image).
Have tried deleting pp3 file if existing but there must be a Dark Frame ‘trigger’ elsewhere that ‘remembers’ the Dark Frame.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Please start from the beginning as you seem to be missing some very basic RT concepts:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Getting_Started
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/The_Image_Editor_Tab#Eek.21_My_Raw_Photo_Looks_Different_than_the_Camera_JPEG

Hi - Sorry for the confusion.
Briefly have used Lightroom4(LR4) & Elements6 for years. New camera RAW format was not supported by LR4 and updating would have meant updating OS so made the leap to Linux Mint.
Have been using Rawtherapee 4.2 (RT4-2) for 9 months or so and am comfortable with it in conjunction with Rawpedia (RP). Have now upgraded to RT5-3.
One day in passing curiosity got the better of me and I clicked the Dark Frame option from right clicking on a File Browser image. Should have read RP first then wouldn’t have selected it as I don’t have those (Dark Frame dead pixel) problems. I was thinking it would be a simple click for on click for off type feature. Some how RT has locked on to those few images that I selected when in the Dark Frame Mode and won’t let go of them despite my efforts.
It may be just as simple to delete those images (as I still have them in camera) and re-import them under a different name to break whatever link RT has on them.

In passing where do I go to learn the proper procedures for using pisls.us ?

I don’t think there is a proper procedure for using the forum here… We have like one rule: be nice.

You post your problem and we do our best to help and point you in the right direction.

If you’d like to arrange a remote session, I’d be happy to take a look.

Thanks for the help offer - I’ll try delete, rename, import first as that would probably be easiest solution before delving into
the “Voodoo” (as one Linux Mint moderator called it) of deeper programming software digging … :wink: