Reverse Engineering Image Filters in G'MIC?

There is some ideas I have in mind about G’MIC. Filters specifically designed to reverse engineer images to use as an aid to develop a filter. The easiest I can think of to demonstrate what I mean by reverse engineering filters is reverse engineering gradient mapping.

In the video, you should see that I am trying to reverse engineer gradient map by looking at the smoothest possible gradient first, and then using that on the lower layer, and finally applying a non-destructive filter. Then, if I see that they are very similar, then I conclude that it is possible to make a gradient map, and reapply the effect again on other image, and still get super similar result.

There’s also something like this for color adjustment for GIMP way before.

What are your thoughts on this idea? It’s not going to magically extract filters from images, but it is only for creating one-filter using existing info.

1 Like

I can’t view the video. On Windows 8.1, Internet Explorer reports “Invalid Source” and Firefox reports “No video with supported format and MIME type found”.

I second this, I don’t think it’s an issue just on your end or my end.

Same for me, I can’t watch the video.
Firefox on Ubuntu 18.04 says “No video with supported format and MIME type found”.

:thinking: It worked when he first posted. It doesn’t work now. Or rather, it can play but there is no audio or video…

Yeah, now I"m seeing the error here. Tried uploading directly to this site, I see only whites. Don’t know what to do here. Any solutions to the upload video issue? I no longer want to use Youtube.

This is similar?

@Joan_Rake1 , @snibgo, @billznn, @afre

I give up trying to do the video upload. Gonna write this step by hand.

1. Take one image that has been only filtered with a gradient map. Take the other that is the original.
  2. Use Pixel Sort on the gradient mapped image. (First, select the most common options for gradient map application)
  3. Use Pixel Sort on the original Image, and keep experimenting to verify that it looks like the pixel sorted from the original Image.
  4. If the original and pixel sort shares the same characteristics, that means that the gradient map has been applied with specific technique, and can be used on other pictures.
  5. And if it does, you can move pixels according to its direction, and try to get it thin enough for you to generate another pixel sort to finally create a gradient map.

Basically, you reverse engineered the gradient map.

@bazza

Well, the idea is similar. Basically, you’re attempting to extract information to be able to use that information on other images.

Peertube is a neat alternative to YouTube.

1 Like

Odd. I can see the video in the first post, but no audio (is there audio?).

There is no audio. I did not had the intention to add any audio. The only thing I intended to do was to visually explain how it works.

1 Like