Ricoh GRD II and Auto-matched tone curve problem.

Auto-matched tone curve doesn’t seem to work with my old Ricoh GRD II (the 10MP small sensor one), when I try and click on the button nothing happens. Thanks!

Please upload a problematic file.

Hi @geldo,

That is odd. I just fetched a RAW sample file from that camera, shot in ISO6400 and loaded into RawTherapee 5.5-236 (Linux) – and it works just fine.

When you have loaded the image, select Processing Profile (Neutral). Does the image change in any way?

Select profile Bundled Profiles → Pop → Pop 1.
Any change?

Select Processing Profile (Neutral) again, followed by profile Bundled Profiles → Automatched Curve - ISO Medium. Any change?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Addendum: Oh, I just learnt that there is a difference between GR II and GR Digital 2. RT works with GR II, but not GR Digital 2. Ingo gives the explanation, below. Sorry for the confusion!

I just tested using the Ricoh GRD II file from raw.pixls.us.
It does not work because the embedded jpg is too small

histogram matching: full raw image size is 3648x2736
histogram matching: the embedded thumbnail is too small: 160x120
3 Likes

Thank you all!
:disappointed_relieved:

Maybe we can weaken the size check. I tried with the file from raw.pixls.us and it works fine after weakening the size check:

@agriggio What do you think?

Edit: Left without histogram matching, right with histogram matching based on the 160x120 thumb

2 Likes

iirc the cutoff was somewhat arbitrary, so it might very well be too conservative… the reasoning was: better no match than a poor match. I have no objection to change this if you like

3 Likes

I pushed a change.

@geldo Should be in next nightly builds of dev branch

That’s fantastic, thank you very much! :clap::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just pushed another change because the last change was not enough to get histogram matching working with Phase One 65+ files which have very small embedded previews compared to the dimensions of the raw files.