Robin by the thorns

Hello! Unfortunately this was a pretty lousy exposure… I had my compensation way down due to some egrets in direct sunlight and had to react quickly to get this robin. Will be fun to see how people can recover the image!

_DSF1659.RAF (18.6 MB)

License: Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

14 Likes

@sushey

1 Like

Did a test print. Looks okay but I over sharpened it a little bit… Still getting the hang of exposure/sharpness for printing.

1 Like

Very nice shot. When I looked at the color rendition of @hatsnp, I was a little confused that the colors looked so much different to my robin shot.

But in my version below the resemblance is quite strong. So, it does depend more on the developer than on the bird :grinning:.

_DSF1659.RAF.xmp (15.6 KB)

1 Like

Interesting bird…ours look quite different… more like this…

2 Likes

Yes, it was quite a shock when I first saw a north american robin :grin: European ones are very different, yours are almost like a blackbird with an orange belly.

1 Like

robin.thorns.pp3 (31.8 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development

8 Likes

Yeah, there’s some weird white balance going on that I haven’t looked at yet. Yours looks a bit yellow but more close to the real thing indeed!

1 Like

I like the colours, very natural. No more of that pesky magenta in the shadows :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe @Jade_NL got close.

1 Like

Thanks!

You mention white balance in your reply to Thomas: I had to set it manually. The one the camera uses and the 2 auto options in RawTherapee did not result in something that I liked. Bit of tweaking did the trick. This might also help with the magenta. Although having to bump the image 4 stops doesn’t help :rofl: Forgetting a setting and having to be quick happens to me too every so often. I always check after I take a shot, but if you need to be quick, like the shot above, you do not get a second chance.

1 Like

Yap, my exact situation. When I bumped the exposure up a few milliseconds later I only got a shot of half a bird flying off and an empty branch :grinning:

Had great fun with this image - thanks :+1:

_DSF1659.RAF.xmp (43.6 KB)

5 Likes

I have to say I was stunned how underexposed the image was and how easily it could be recovered to correct exposure. This is a beautiful example of how the Fuji X-T3 is ISO invariant. I had never experienced this before. I wish my Canon and Nikon sensors worked in the same way. If I had underexposed to this degree with my cameras the result would be crap. I have developed a new found respect for the Fuji sensor.

Here is my edit. I did use the shadow and highlights module to pick up the shadow detail. I appreciate there are many users who would prefer to not use this module anymore and would instead use another module such as tone equalizer. But I tend to like the shadow highlights module for its ease of use and the way it picks up color and contrast in shadows. Personal taste in the end.

2 Likes

A nice bird! And great what can be recovered from this strongly underexposed frame!
Agfa Precisa 100 LUT

_DSF1659_RT-3.jpg.out.pp3 (14.4 KB)

7 Likes

@hatsnp, let me know if this is going too far OT… I couldn’t resist adding an Australian robin to the thread. We have a few kinds actually, this is a male Scarlet Robin, the only one I have a half-decent photo of. Not nearly as good as the OP though :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

DT4.1
Lovely image :blush:
_DSF1659.RAF.xmp (10.5 KB)

2 Likes

I agree. I downloaded what looked like a black square…hit the exposure autopicker set to 50% and boom amazing image already if I did nothing more… that was crazy how clean it was…

2 Likes

Nope this is a FOSS forum not a photography forum…you can use commercial things as a comparison or reference but the forum is not about Adobe stuff and other software…

The list is here or any other FOSS stuff you might stumble across…

EDit PS…welcome hopefully you will explore some of the open source stuff…

Ok then, thanks.