RT Crashing All The Time (Mac)

Hey all.
I know posts have been made about RT crashing, but they seem to be when performing a specific function for other people.
Since getting RT 5.8, but now on my second build of 5.9, I seem to get crashes all the time. Like, sometimes after 1 minute of editing. I might do 2 hours of work without issue (not often), but much more commonly I seem to get a lot of crashed while editing. My question is if there’s something that I could do to prevent this? Is there a setting I should change to get the program to ‘speak’ more happily with my computer?
My Mac is the 2021 M1 Macbook Pro (16"), 32GB RAM, Mac OS Monterey 12.8.
I’m using RT 5.9, the build being from this link https://kd6kxr.keybase.pub/RawTherapee_macOS_11.7_Universal_5.9.zip

I haven’t had crashes launching the program, loading or saving a photo, or performing one particular action. Some common ones are pressing ‘z’ to zoom in to 100% (or zooming more, this does actually seem to be a very common one!), adjusting luminocity/detail recovery sliders in Noise Reduction, when I messed with Contrast Via Detail Level, and plenty of other random ones. These settings seem to be CPU intensive (I’m guessing), but I wouldn’t have thought that my laptop couldn’t handle it? I do some pretty demanding music production and my machine takes that very well. Just a bit confused and pretty sad from having lost all my editing progress like 50 times.

Appreciate any advice (including, dare I say, looking for a different program?)

Unfortunately, MacOS often causes issues with FOSS software, and there are not enough developers to support it.

So, without sarcasm: is switching operating systems out of the question?

1 Like

The fact that it crashes often at 100%+ zoom or with noise reduction suggests it could be a known issue with multi-threaded noise reduction / wavelets on macOS builds. Apparently it is still issue for some (see this comment). Check what you have set in Performance > Threads in Preferences. If it is 0, try changing it to 2, or even 1 if you still experience crashes.

1 Like

It’s pretty early on to know for sure, but I think this has really helped, thank you!

We would need to see some crash reports from your system to determine what might be going on there, otherwise it’s a guessing game.

Without sarcasm: you realized the hardware he‘s using? :wink:

Sorry, Im not familiar with Macs. So there’s no Windows or Linux compatibility / dual boot for M1?

install Xcode or xcode commandline tools, bite the bullet and run it using the debugger. Then you can give hints where an issue occurs and a developer can check it.

System crash report will usually suffice on Mac. No need for any bullet biting :grimacing:

lol will do :slight_smile: I’ll upload when it next occurs. I do have some photos to edit, hopefully this week. I do massively appreciate your work porting the program to MacOS!

1 Like

thanks for your help

1 Like

I’m new here. Cannot get RT past startup - using a macbook pro with ventura. Any ideas appreciated. The crash report is lengthy but the translated section reads - Process: rawtherapee [3922]
Path: /Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/MacOS/rawtherapee
Identifier: com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee
Version: 5.9.0 (5.9.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [1]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2023-04-09 12:54:31.2350 +1000
OS Version: macOS 13.3.1 (22E261)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 7.4 (20P4252)
Anonymous UUID: 2F946658-68EA-BB38-6A5E-5CEF075D99D3

Time Awake Since Boot: 2600 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 17 pool-rawtherape

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007f7fa14bb000
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x00007f7fa14bb000

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 11 Segmentation fault: 11
Terminating Process: exc handler [3922]

VM Region Info: 0x7f7fa14bb000 is not in any region. Bytes after previous region: 1 Bytes before following region: 103043072
REGION TYPE START - END [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD REGION DETAIL
MALLOC_LARGE 7f7fa0ad2000-7f7fa14bb000 [ 9.9M] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
—> GAP OF 0x6245000 BYTES
MALLOC_LARGE 7f7fa7700000-7f7faf700000 [128.0M] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Hi @saley, the crash report snippet you provided doesn’t contain enough information to diagnose the issue. Could you please share the full report?

Here is the full crash report -

I’m afraid the crash report got lost on its way to Pixls.

the file is too big, exceeds the 50000 character max - have attached pdf to see if that works

problem report.pdf (315 KB)

It does look similar to the other macOS crashes, except it happens while generating the thumbnails, hence the crash during startup. To change the settings, you’ll have to edit the file that stores them.

Locate the options file on your computer. This page in the user manual will help you find it: File Paths - RawPedia. Once you have it, open it with a text editor. Find the line with RgbDenoiseThreadLimit in it and change the number to 2. Save and close, then try opening RawTherapee again.

@saley Thank you for reporting your crash. 5.9 hung on to an old version of libomp, which may be involved in this case. If you try a recent development build you may experience more stable multithreading as that particular library has been since upgraded. (Currently I am testing the metadata-exiv2 feature branch): https://kd6kxr.github.io/meta

For the sandboxed 5.9+ application bundles, options will be found in ~/Library/Containers/com.rawtherapee.RawTherapee/Data/Library/Application Support/RawTherapee5/config

Hi - didn’t work I’m afraid. Crashed at same time in opening sequence. Thanks for trying.

Ian