RW2 created on Lumix S5 in vLog can't open on Mac BigSur

Hi, New to the Forum, I hope I posted in the right place.
I can’t get to open Raw files (RW2) on my Mac OS BigSur. They have been taken with a Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 with a vLog profile… By the way, although it is already one year old - a long time in tech race ! - this camera is not yet listed in Apple compatibility list and I don’t know if RawTherapee depends on Apple list to treat RAWS or has its own. I have gone to File Browser, saw that “rw2” was checked in the extension list and still, when I navigate to the Desktop where my RW2 files are, they don’t show up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The official release of RT is from February 2020… way older than the camera. I’m pretty sure you need a development version … you should have a look in this thread Test of RawTherapee on MacOS 11.1 Big Sur

My development version on Win 10 can open the sample files from https://www.photographyblog.com/previews/panasonic_s5_photos

Of note: Log profiles only affect the generated JPEG (either the embedded preview for a raw file, or the JPEG for RAW+JPEG shooting), and won’t affect raw image data. The only effect V-Log mode will have is changing the way the camera reports ISO rating, since ISO rating is dependent on the camera’s JPEG tone curve.

Beyond that - as @ChasingShadows mentioned, you’re best off running a dev version or waiting for 5.9 to get released. Not sure if the dev branch has S5 support - I know it did handle S1H RW2 files a few months ago, but lacked color profile data for them.

Thanks for the advice. I actually found a way out by opening the RW2 files with an Hex Editor and modifying the camera name from DC-S5 to DC-S1 but it’s somehow cumbersome ! For the time being, it will have to do. Have a good day and thanks for your time and concern.

BTW, I just checked - RT dev builds should have at least some support for the S5 - and comments imply there’s actually a DCP profile for it…

Yup - Added Panasonic DC-S5 dual-illuminant DCP profile · Beep6581/RawTherapee@63001c4 · GitHub

You can either run a dev build, or wait for 5.9 which is in progress - Roadmap for v5.9 · Issue #5632 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Add

{ // Quality C, possibly the same as DC-S1. We have a custom DCP which is better.
    "make_model": "Panasonic DC-S5",
    "dcraw_matrix": [ 9744, -3905, -779, -4899, 12807, 2324, -798, 1630, 5827 ] // DNG
},

to your camconst.json file … then you don’t need the hack …

This comes with the dev version

Also grab that DCP! :slight_smile:

I have it, but if @PatMout would pick up the dev version it would be much easier (but getting a dev version for Mac is not that easy, I know)