Script fu [Gimp freaky details and other?]

After a discussion in this thread, I offered to share my implementation of the freaky details method described in the article of @patdavid. Maybe others could add their filters in this thread, too. I know that there was the idea once to share code in a repository but as far as I understand this was not really implemented or is regularly used. Also, I am not a developer and would prefer to keep things simple.

The Gimp filter below generates a new layer that produces the effect in combination with the original background layer. The advantage is that one can afterwards apply a blur locally to the sharpening layer. In this way one can limit the effect to certain regions. The script fu file has to be copied to the ā€œscriptsā€ folder of Gimp and the filter can afterwards be found in the filter menu. The only thing to be set is the blur size.

I have to admit that I donā€™t code often and have no idea about Gimp scripts. So I just tried to gather information in manpages and examples and put something together. The script works quite fine when Gimp is freshly opened with a new file. However, when working with several open files, the script gets sometimes ā€œconfusedā€ with the layer names. So, if someone can improve the code in any way I would certainly appreciate that :wink: . I used a gaussian blur in the script but you might want to replace this with other blur filters.

Freaky_Details.scm (3.1 KB) [This code is licened under the GPLv2]
Edit: The file was changed and now contains the adjustment proposed below by @Jade_NL.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I, ehā€¦ ran into a small issue though:

Error: Procedure execution of gimp-image-get-active-drawable failed on invalid input arguments: Procedure ā€˜gimp-image-get-active-drawableā€™ has been called with an invalid ID for argument ā€˜imageā€™

Did some searching and digging and changed this line:

; add gaussian blur
(plug-in-gauss-rle2 1  inImage (car (gimp-image-get-active-drawable 1)) inBlur inBlur)

To this:

; add gaussian blur
(plug-in-gauss-rle2 1  inImage (car (gimp-image-get-active-layer 1)) inBlur inBlur)

gimp-image-get-active-drawable vs gimp-image-get-active-layer

Donā€™t ask me why this works, the interwebs helped me figure this one out.

Works like a charm for me after this small edit.

1 Like

As I said, I have not much knowledge about this either. The script worked for me (Gimp 2.10). Good that you got it running this fast.

Edit: Maybe your change also fixes this:

Further opportunities:

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?t=483

GIMP => G`MIC => Details => Freaky details (27-02-2013)

Przesyłanie: urban.still.life-GIMP plugins WIC-LAB_GMIC Freaky.jpgā€¦