Show me your artistic face!

Exactly same workflow as my take Sunset on Brusvikken - Darktable filmic vs sigmoid - #57 by afre. Maybe different colour space on PF export…?

Raw PhotoFlow.
Play G'MIC.

Second one in particular looks like expired film, nice work.

Trying out my new aerochrome film stock

artistic-face-het.fortuin_01.rw2.xmp (13.6 KB)

dt 3.4.1

3 Likes

@arctic : Both are nice, but I think I prefer the first one. Both are nice examples that show that adding “grain” (digital noise) can make a positive difference.

@afre : That is a remarkable difference between end results if the workflow was identical. I initially missed your second Sunset on … edit, which is really nice and soft by the way and the above result doesn’t come close to that. Interesting…

@Soupy : Artistic complementary (or the RYB model) works well here doesn’t it?

1 Like

I saw something in the original that I also wanted to explore but did not in my first edit. Inspired by all the other edits I decided to give that idea a go.

Toxic messenger:

RawTherapee + Krita

4 Likes

Depends on the stats of the image. It is simply a bunch of curves, denoising, blending and sharpening. With a few more steps:

1 Like

RT 5.9 Dev.
het.fortuin-1.jpg.out.pp3 (37.1 KB)

1 Like

Love the picture. This screamed out to me for this anamorphic lens flare but I could not create it. Has anyone a good tutorial how to create anamorphic lens flare with GIMP or similar?

1 Like

Is this what you are looking for? I can teach you how in RawTherapee Dev.

anamorphic.jpeg.out.pp3 (27.8 KB)

het_ART.jpg.out.arp (11.2 KB)

Yes, this is the effect. It is basically a bloom effect but only in 1 direction. How do you do this? However, I do not have RawTherapee DEV :open_mouth: .

You can download the nightly from here, but hopefully within a month or two there will be a full release of version 5.9. I have been watching the conversations amongst the developers, and they seem to be nearing the establishment of a release date :partying_face:

In order to create the effect, I used Local Adjustments. As a primer for using LA, you should watch @Andy_Astbury1 's video. The interface is a bit hard to wrap your head around, but once it clicks its pretty straightforward.

I will try to work on a separate tutorial for lens flare and post back here, as I don’t want to highjack this thread.

Edit: The tutorial can be found here Tutorial: Using Local Adjustments to create lens flare

2 Likes

Years later … I am using Davinci Resolve to do this:

This is the effect is was looking for. I dont think it exists in Darktable or Gimp in that fashion.

1 Like

I attempted a quick mock up in RT 5.9

het.fortuin.rw2.pp3 (14.1 KB)

Frist of all, thanks for the photo and thanks to Daniel for reviving this.
Tried going for a soft Bubblegum film look.

het.fortuin.rw2.xmp (11.2 KB)

Done with Darktable 4.2

1 Like

My version…

het.fortuin_01.rw2.xmp (14.7 KB)

het.fortuin_03.rw2.xmp (20.6 KB)

My fun Gimp

GIMP-Hillustrative

GIMP-Hillustrative_GMIC-Comicbook

2 Likes

My try… Thanks for share this photo :wink: :+1:

darktable & GIMP.

Greetings from La Habana, Cuba.

10 Likes

@difrkaguilar Ha ha - nice one.

1 Like

I was thinking about integrating some 3d assets with Blender and compositing in Natron but I have almost no time.
Maybe in a few days I can try to do it.

2 Likes