Simulating light source in hazy atmosphere

Trying to simulate how a light source looks in dim conditions as it travels through haze, fog or high humidity. I tried copying the warm light source colors of my attached test image, then doing a Gaussian blur. But that caused the density of the copied layer to be reduced. I had to copy the layer and set its mode to overlay, and repeat several times. Seemed inefficient. I also tried using the orange color of the lights as a basis for an “Incandescent” radial, but that looked artificial. Suggestions?

I’m not near a machine to test this, but what about something like a grain merge for the layer mode? Maybe some intermediate frequency separation as the layer rather than a full LF? Just sort of spitballing here.

Bloom filter + layer mode as @patdavid suggests?

I tried a gaussian blur on a new layer and varying the opacity. It works well but you’d need a depth map so that further objects are subjected to greater blur and look hazier.

I forgot about the bloom filter; have to try it.
The grain merge is something I never understood, so did know it might apply here. I can remedy that on my own.

But @patdavid the bit on “intermediate frequency separation” sailed over my head?

GIMP 2.9.5 doesn’t like the Bloom filter. No visible results other than errors about deprecated stuff. Grain merge brightens/intensifies the lights.Maybe useful for what I lost during Gaussian blur. On the latter, I’ll have to start over, because when I pulled out those light/warm areas the first time to create the new layer, I did something unwise that now causes the blur to suddenly stop as it spreads downward. Likely user error.

@okieman Is this what you were looking for? Might not be the best looking result. :blush:

Edit: Cranked up the effect and made the comparison top-to-bottom instead of left-to-right.

Idea was to reduce contrast and increase warmth. Used RT Wavelet levels. Residual image and the Final Touch-up tabs. Changed the WB too and a bit of vignette.
e5e1e8200c897d40a6a71768bc8765ceab480ea1-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.1 KB)

Using G’MIC’s RGB mixer on a duplicate layer, and masking unwanted areas.
Is this getting close to what you want to achieve?

@afre and @sguyader very close … except when I do similar, I will edit to give more of an impression the glow is radiating as in real life. For example, on the right, it would be more downward to simulate the cutoff from the top edge of the porch. Thx!

Have you figured it out yet? If not, sharing your original and XCF files would help us help you.

I used G’MIC to produce the result, in such a way that could be repeated in GIMP; so not as nuanced as manual masking. In the result below, I added a mask to emphasize the bottom of the blur.

Original

Previous attempt

New attempt

How about this?

@sguyader That is a good way to show the comparison :grinning:, though the gif appears to be low quality.

@okieman I forgot to mention that I have been making custom blur and dilation kernels and blending them together to get the desired effect. Takes a lot of care to learn, which is what I have been doing myself here. GIMP documentation:

Blurring for Beginners, which I found from a quick web search, might help you figure out how to design your kernels.

Feel free to make a gif with better quality :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the idea of an animated gif to show before/after. Someone had time on their hands :wink:

It just took a couple minutes in Gimp toncreate the animated gif!