Siril, a software for astrophotography on Linux

Hi,

I was looking for a FLOSS which could be used to process and stack images from the sky. I found this: Siril - FreeAstro

Haven’t tried it yet, but it sounds interesting.

Anybody around here have experience with this software?

1 Like

I looked at it a couple of ago but IIRC couldn’t get it to compile (it hadn’t been updated in quite some time, and I thought it had been abandonded.) Looks like someone picked up development of it in early 2014.

Thanks for the update, I’ll be sure to try it out next time I try my hand at astrophotography.

Tried it, took some effort to compile, crashed often and I couldn’t even get it to stack a bunch of prealigned images so I gave up on it. For now I use hugin to align and magick or gmic to stack. The drawback is that they don’t support some of the more advanced statistical methods like (windsorized) sigma clipping. The other drawback is that at least with gmic & gimp all the images need to fit into memory which can become a restriction. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you get either sirill to work or find another interesting tool for the job.

I installed it on my Manjaro (Arch linux) box from the AUR repository (on-the-fly compilation) and everything went well. Unfortunately I have no image collection to try, I only tried to make stacks from 4-5 copies from the same file and it seemed to work. I you guys can point me to a link from where I can download a collection of frames for stacking and processing, I’ll test the program.

Sebastien, I’m interested, too. Tried it once on Debian but failed to figure out how to easily stack and thus gave up on it, as my time was limited. A proper and concise HOWTO is desperately needed, IMHO… So, I’d be very glad, if you could share your experiences.

Hi, I’d be glad to share my experiences but I need some frames to try. I found a website from which one can download raw frames, but but the downloads failed effet time I tried. If you have such a collection of individual images, please share them with me.

@sguyader, did you have a look here: http://www.rawastrodata.com/

@martin_malepo
Yes that’s the source I tried to download from, but every time downloads stalled after a minute. I’ll try again today.

@sguyader
just managed to download one set of 1.26gb if it is not working for you, I can upload this zip to my onedrive

Please upload the set you got, it stills fails downloading form their website today (fails after downloading about 10MB).

ok, will do. my upload speed is very slow so it’ll take some hours to get it up, will paste the link in here then

just tell once you have it. I’m a bit limited of space so I will delte it afterwards then

Ok, no problem I’ll let you know when I get it.

I’ve sent an email to rawastrodata@gmail.com asking if I can make a torrent out of his data sets and upload them to archive.org.

Maybe we should start collecting data sets (not just astral, but panorama, HDR, etc)? I can certainly seed torrents, I’ve got about 5 TB of unused space and recently upgraded my internet connection to 150Mbps upload.

I think that’s a good idea.

meanwhile I’ve loaded this dataset M42 into DeepSkyStacker - so it looks it should all be there

but as don’t know much about this kind of stacking and this software I can’t really tell.

ah … the upload is at 988mb so far, so it’s pretty fast tonight :slight_smile:

yes, that’s for sure a good idea.

ok @sguyader here you go:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqbB12XnzX2CoTY97IRVDo8O4MkQ

that was pretty fast tonight.

Great, downloading right now, I hope it won’t fail this time.

Edit: bad news, I again get a failure after dowloading 466MB… I guess it’s my connection, having trouble downloading over http these days… If someone can make a torrent…

Strange, I was able to complete the download from my smartphone over the Wifi, while my laptop failed… Anyways now have got the set, I’ll try and see what Siril can do.

So, I used the M42 image set from www.rawastrodata.com. I was able to process master flat, master dark, and apply those to light frames. So far, no crash at all, the software seems to behave well. However, I need to go through the documentation because I apparently didn’t use all the correct options: I end up with a grey scale image which seems to show the raw CFA pattern.

Anyways, this 0.9.3 version seems stable to me.