Skyline Dresden at night

A few month ago I had to go to a seminar in Dresden. I took my cam with me and a colleague and I tried to use the spare time. When walking over the bridge we were annoyed, that we didn’t take the tripods with us :roll_eyes:

Anyways, we still tried to take some night shots from the skyline . Here is one of the attempt, for sure not perfect, but I thought it would be a good picture to play with. I’ve trouble to process it with all the lights and colours. Looking forward to see, how you deal with them.

D71_5191.NEF (25.2 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

David

10 Likes

D71_5191.NEF.xmp (9.7 KB)

A quick edit - it’s getting late here - monochrome as always, a tight crop which leaves the bridge leading out of the image (and same with building on the right).

DT 4.4.2

3 Likes

My version…

D71_5191_01.NEF.xmp (21.8 KB)

edit:
Uploaded a second version where I tried to fix the issue with the blue colors using the rgb primaries with this method:

7 Likes

Beautiful Image! My play in GIMP.

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.9 + Gimp 2.10.34

3 Likes

D71_5191.NEF.xmp (10.6 KB)

3 Likes

better composition, looks class in b&w

1 Like

Impressive shot.

D71_5191.NEF.xmp (12.3 KB)

2 Likes

This is interesting - I noticed that it’s not completely monochrome and loaded your xmp. I see you didn’t drop the chroma completely, which gives a rather interesting (and nice) effect. Was it intentional or inadvertent I wonder? Just curious. :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, you noticed! :wink:

That’s intentional. The color zones module is very powerful, but also an easy way to do monochrome, or almost monochrome. And even though I really like a high-contrast BW like this one:

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/my-favorite-train-station/40088/3?u=flech

not dropping the chroma entirely ads a touch of warmt to the photo.

I could also have done something like this, with the idea of keeping a bit of the color on the buildings but getting rid of the two blue lights in the original.

Screenshot_20231026_151601

1 Like

My version…

D71_5191.NEF.xmp (15.1 KB)

4 Likes

I had a feeling it might be. :smiley:

It was actually the blue bits I noticed initially, but the warmth of the other bits is actually more important but less noticeable - if that makes sense :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for filling me in!

1 Like

Here is my attempt. I used experimental modules to change the viewpoint, time of day and add some snow.

1 Like

Wow!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You had me there for a moment … but April 1 is a long time ago/in the future. :wink:

2 Likes

How about a ‘time’ module? Seems a logical idea - think how useful it would be when you miss the best light by a few minutes.

3 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

My shot was taken from a moving train, it was the last view we had of the city as we departed after a few days of walking around a beautiful snowy fairyland.
What struck me was the bridge over the River Elbe in the foreground was probably where @semperit took his photo. Wouldn’t it be spooky if the figure was him standing there waiting for the best light…

1 Like

Sorry for this late edit. I just stumbled over this astonishing shot and wondered why nobody eliminated this irritating blue highlights:

D71_5191.NEF.xmp (31.2 KB)

or if you prefer a more realistic look:

D71_5191.NEF.xmp (32.1 KB)

3 Likes

This is a stunning picture!

SkylineDresdenAtNight1.jpg.out.arp (11.1 KB)
I made another version, which is slightly darker, but I like this one more, as the sky feels to me a bit more realistically affected by the city lights.
Thank you for the practice!

2 Likes