[Solved] What's wrong with L13 (or perhaps me)? 😭

I am trying to learn to profile my new inkjet printer, using an IT 8 target.
Naturally, I made all typical newcomer’s mistakes (like letting both Photoshop AND the printer manage colours, i.e. a double conversion).

Half a ream of paper and six starter ink cartridges later I am quite content with the result, so far – except for patch L13 (or rather the entire L column). It ought to look something this this:

… but quite often patch L13 becomes too green:

My dilemma is that I cannot imagine what on earth goes wrong, or where it goes wrong.
Printer, inks and paper are all original Epson.
Has anyone encountered such a strange behaviour before?
Am I mixing up colour spaces, or what?

Sincerely,
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Can you tell us a bit more about the process you’re using? Are you using a photo-spectrometer?

If you’re using the higher end Epson paper, they offer ICC profiles for many of them: http://m.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/ICCProfilesAll.do?

@calligraffiti Yes, I am trying to learn how to handle the Colormunki Photo that I just bought. The process I use is the one that X-rite suggests.

@paperdigits Hm… your reply indicates that a Correct ICC Profile could be the solution to my problem.
No, I do not use any high end Epson papers in order to educate myself (gulp, they are e-x-p-e-n-s-I-v-e); for my tests, Epson’s Bright White would be sufficient for learning, I recon…

Also: the printer is not a high end one, either. It’s an XP-960 [but it is my very first colour printer :slight_smile: ].

If you have a piece of Epson Photo paper, I’d try that. Not saying it will fix your problem, but that bright white paper is for color business documents.

In order to help us help you, post the steps you’re doing and be as detailed as possible.

After today’s experiments, I am much happier.

@paperdigits The steps I performed are those that are recommended for Colormunki Photo.
a) Software prints a page with patches.
b) I scan the patches with the Colormunki.
c) Software generates a new sheet with patches.
d) I scan the new sheet.
e) Software generates a printer profile.

The paper used still is the cheapish Epson Bright white.
I will not spoil expensive papers until I feel more confident in the process :slight_smile:

Well, it seems as if I made the typical newcomer mistake:
I let both Photoshop (or InDesign) and the printer take care of color management,
i.e. the colours were converted twice. :rage:

Now I know and now the result is much better.

1 Like

That will most certainly lead to errors… I’m surprised it was only one row that was so noticeable.

Is everything looking good now?

@paperdigits Yes, presently I am happy. See here:

I have not completely grasped the importance of the paper, though…
But that does not really matter, since it gives me a new area/abyss to
dive into.